|Date Listed||Fri 22nd April, 2005|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Quorn and Woodhouse Station Woodhouse Road Quorn LE12 8AG|
|Volume, Map, Item||260, 0, 10006|
|Ward||Quorn & Mountsorrel Castle|
|Description||Railway station. 1898 for the Great Central Railway, resident engineer Edward Parry. Red brick with Welsh slate roof. An island platform building with a staircase to the overbridge. The bridge carries only an entrance gate, the offices are on the platform. Double wooden gates in an arched doorway lead to a covered staircase with side glazing. This is supported on red brick walls with stones beneath, tall chimney stack. The platform buildings are single storey. The first is the booking and station-master?s office. This has a fretted canopy on either side. The walls are panelled into sections, four windows and a door, gable end with booking office window in a brown tile surround at north end, and window at south end. Chimney stack at the south end. The second building is similar, but without canopies. Door with 6 over 2 panels and a 6 pane overlight at the south end. HISTORY: This station was opened by the Great Central Railway on what was originally the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway?s London extension when it was promoted in 1893. It became the GCR in 1897. Quorn and Woodhouse was opened on 15th March 1899 and closed on 4th March 1963. It was reopened 23rd March 1974 as part of the Great Central Railway (private). It is an almost completely unaltered station of 1898, with its interior fittings, which continues in traditional use with a steam railway. The following description was made for the local listing of the railway bridge, but was not incorporated into the statutory description of the station: Railway Bridge perhaps 1897, shortly pre-dates platforms and associated buildings. Major repairs late C20. Steel beams on red/blue engineering brick piers carry Woodhouse Road across track in two spans. Engineering brick parapet walls with stone copings and end piers. References: R.V.J.Butt, The Directory of Railway Stations, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1995. Information from Martin Hammond, Honorary Architect, Great Central Railway.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.