Skip to content

Apply for a council home

Anyone aged over 16 years can apply to join the council's Housing Register and use Charnwood HomeSearch to rent a council or Housing Association home in Charnwood.  To apply for housing:

We will assess your housing circumstances and place your application into one of four bands (priority, high, medium or low).  More information about the bands can be found in our:  

We will write and tell you whether you have been accepted onto the Housing Register.  Homeseekers who have been accepted onto the Housing Register will also receive:  

  • A housing application number
  • The band that your housing application has been placed in - this will be Priority, High, Medium or Low
  • A "logon" reference number

Once you have your logon details, visit Charnwood HomeSearch to 'bid' online for up to 2 properties in Charnwood every week from midnight on Thursday to midnight on Tuesday.  Or view available properties throughout the Leicestershire Choice Based Lettings (CBL) region. 

Waiting times will differ as the number and type of council properties available varies from town to town.  If you have any queries about your areas of choice or the type of property you would like to be offered, contact the Housing Needs Team on 01509 63 4567 for further assistance.

What should I do if my circumstances change? 

Your application may be affected if there is a change in your circumstances, for example, you have become pregnant or would like to add another person to your household.  Tell us about any changes to your circumstances by completing and returning the form below.  Or request a Change of Circumstances form by calling 01509 63 4567. 

Change of Circumstance Form (Cbl) (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)

Your application may also be affected if you have moved.  Please tell us if you have moved by completing and returning the form below.  Or request a Change of Address form by calling 01509 63 4567.

Change of Address Form (Cbl) (Word Document, 0.24 Mb)

Last updated:

Back to top