Skip to content

Party Wall Advice, Dispute Resolution and Example Domestic Contracts

In Dispute?

Party Wall ActFollow this link to download a copy of the Party wall act.

The Party Wall Act Is Not Controlled by Charnwood Borough Council or Building Control and Is a Civil Act, Please See the Guide by Clicking on the Picture to Download a Free Guide

This Booklet Has Been Produced by the Government to Explain in Simple Terms How the Party Wall Etc Act 1996 ("the Act") May Affect Someone Who Either Wishes to Carry Out Work Covered by the Act (The "Building Owner"), or Receives Notification Under the Act of Proposed Adjacent Work (The "Adjoining Owner").

Other Sources of Advice

If you are thinking of having some building work done on your property, you will also be thinking about appointing a builder to do the work. Choosing a quality contractor to build a new extension or do internal alterations is very important. Everyone has heard horror stories about "cowboy builders" and the havoc they cause.

Always endeavour to use builders or tradesmen who are members of trade associations. There are no guarantees about the quality of their work but most should be reputable. These associations carry out checks on the builders before they gain membership status, therefore minimising the risk of choosing a "cowboy builder". All the associations have a code of conduct that members adhere to. There are a number of Builders Trade Associations, the following is a link to a couple of examples.

  • Federation of Master Builders - The UK's leading building trade association includes a member search facility and  these also have dispute resolution policies
  • TrustMark is a not for profit organisation - Local, trustworthy & reliable tradesmen, operating to Government endorsed standards includes a member search and also guidance if things go wrong.
Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top