There are currently no disruptions to council services due to bad weather. You can keep up to date with the latest from Charnwood Borough Council by following us on Twitter.
Guide to clearing snow and ice
The government has issued a snow code to advise residents on clearing snow and ice from pavements outside their homes and public spaces.
There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces and it’s unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully.
The code gives tips on how to:
- prevent slips: use more salt on steps and steep pathways.
- clear the snow or ice early in the day: it’s easier to move fresh, loose snow rather than hard snow that has packed together from people walking on it. Cover the area with salt at night to prevent refreezing overnight.
- Use salt or sand - not water: if you use water to melt the snow, it may refreeze and turn to black ice.
- Be a good neighbour: if you think your neighbour will have difficulty getting in and out of their home, offer to clear snow and ice around their property as well.
In Charnwood, Leicestershire County Council is responsible for gritting the highways and can be contacted on 0800 626203. Use the links below to access more advice about dealing with winter weather.
- Cold Weather Warning - Information & Advice
- Information on Winter driving and gritting from Leicestershire County Council
Other useful links
Last updated: Wed 30th March, 2016 @ 14:56