Skip to content

Do I Need Planning Permission?

We've put together some guidance and resources which should help you answer this question for the majority of common projects. Remember, if you are at all unsure please contact the Development Management team with any questions before you start work - making sure you have the right permissions in place before you start your project will save you a lot of time, inconvenience and cost (and possibly a criminal conviction!) further down the line. 


If you are thinking about carrying out work to a house which is a family home, the government's Planning Portal website is the best place to start. It has some very good guides to common projects as well as two 'interactive houses' that you can explore to find out what, if any, permissions you might need to apply for.

Some minor house alterations and extensions may be classed as Permitted Development while others, such as internal works to a building or certain repair works, do not need planning permission at all as they do not constitute 'development'.

Remember, even if you do not require planning permission for your project, you may well need Building Regulations approval, particularly where any structural works are involved. This is completely separate from the planning system.


Projects involving works to buildings which are not houses used exclusively as a family home (factory units, offices, shops, houses in multiple occupation, flats, etc.) will almost always require planning permission, as these types of buildings do not have any Permitted Development rights.

Listed Buildings

If your proposed works are to a Listed Building, you will almost certainly need Listed Building Consent, as well as any relevant planning permission or Building Regulations approval. You can find out whether your building is listed using My Charnwood. Carrying out works to a listed building without Listed Building Consent is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of £20,000 upon conviction.


Most outdoor advertisements also require a special form of planning permission called 'Advertisement Consent'. The law in this area is complex, but the government has produced an explanatory booklet, Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers which helps to explain which advertisements require consent. Displaying advertisements without advertisement consent is a criminal offence.

Trees and Hedgerows

Works to trees and hedgerows may also require consent. If a tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, and/or is located within a designated Conservation Area, then you will need to obtain consent from the Council before carrying out any works to it. Carrying out works to protected trees without consent is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of £20,000 upon conviction.

Last updated: Mon 18th August, 2014 @ 11:59

Back to top