Skip to content

Drainage Advice

Drain for phousingDrainage Information

There have been significant changes to the legislation relating to the ownership and maintenance responsibilities of sewers in recent years.

If your property has a system of underground pipes which connects your property and neighbouring properties to the main public sewer, the likelihood is that the recent changes could mean that more or even all of your system could now be maintained by the sewerage company, Severn Trent Water (STW).

The changes were proposed by central government and after a lengthy consultation process, came into force on 1st October 2011. The changes were made to give:

1. Greater clarity over ownership

2. Effective management of the sewerage network

3. Removal of the maintenance burden from householders

These changes have meant that STW have taken on an additional 37,000 km of sewer, previously maintained at householder’s expense, in their region. The changes are clearly better, financially, for owners and occupiers- even with a small increase in billing to pay for the additional workload.

S.T.W is responsible for a massive 90,000 km of asset sewers in total within their region.

The Water Company UK have a very informative website with a video and easy to follow diagrams for all property types. You simply click on the picture of your property type, e.g. semi-detached house and you can clearly see the parts of the sewer system that you are responsible for and those parts that Severn Trent Water will maintain.



Visit and select ‘private sewer transfers’.


Drain- pipework serving one property only

Lateral drains- drains serving individual properties that are outside of the property boundary

Sewer- pipework which is shared or used by more than one property

In addition there are highway drains and gullies that dispose of surface water. In our borough these are generally maintained by Leicestershire County Council.


STW Call Centre (24 hr Emergencies)- 0800 7834444  

Leicestershire County Council (Highways & Road Gullies)- 0116 305 0001

Environment Agency (Floodline)- 0845 9881188

Charnwood Borough Council (Private Sector Housing Team)- 01509 634938

Please note: 

  • If you rent the property from the Council, please telephone 01509 634666 or email
  • If you rent the property from a Housing Association, you should contact the relevant maintenance department
  • If the issue is on a road or path outside your home, call Leicestershire County Council on 0116 305 0001

Last updated: Fri 26th September, 2014 @ 09:42

Back to top