Skip to content

Drainage Advice

Drainage Information

Responsibility for maintaining drains is split between the sewerage company Severn Trent Water (who maintain public drains) and property owners (who are responsible for maintaining private sections of drains).

If your property has a system of underground pipes which connects your property and neighbouring properties to the main public sewer, the likelihood is that a portion or even all of your system could be maintained by Severn Trent Water.

If you are unsure whether your drainage enquiry relates to public drains or private drains, if you visit and select ‘private sewer transfers’ - the Water Company UK have designed diagrams for all property types. You simply click on the picture of your property type, e.g. semi-detached house and you can clearly see the parts of the sewer system that the property owner is responsible for and those parts that Severn Trent Water will maintain.




Drainage terminology:

Below is listed some drainage termilogy which you may find useful when contacting various organisation about  your drainage enquiries.

Drain- pipework serving one property only

Lateral drains- drains serving individual properties that are outside of the property boundary

Sewer- pipework which is shared or used by more than one property

In addition there are highway drains and gullies that dispose of surface water. In our borough these are generally maintained by Leicestershire County Council.



For public drainage enquiries call Severn Trent Water Call Centre (24 hr Emergencies) on 0800 7834444  

For drainage relating to a road or path outside your home, call Leicestershire County Council (Highways & Road Gullies) on 0116 305 0001

For drainage relating to Council properties, please telephone 01509 634666 or email

For drainage relating to Housing Association properties, please telephone their relevant maintenance department.

For enquiries regarding flooding pleease call Environment Agency (Floodline) on 0845 9881188

For all other drainage enquiries please call Charnwood Borough Council (Private Sector Housing Team) on 01509 634938.

Last updated:

Back to top