The Electoral Services team organises all elections held across the borough. These include referendums, local elections for parish, borough and county, as well as Parliamentary and European elections.
The annual canvass of voters and resulting updates to the register of electors for Charnwood is also organised by this team.
Notice of Election
A notice of election has been issued for a vacant councillor seat in the Birstall Wanlip ward. The notice is below. The by-election will take place on Thursday May 4, 2017. Details about the candidates and polling stations are contained in the notice of poll document below.
- Birstall Wanlip Notice of Election (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Notice of Vacancy Birstall Wanlip Ward (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Statement of Persons Nominated - Birstall Wanlip (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Notice of poll (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
Future elections in Charnwood
Below is some useful information about future elections in Charnwood:
- 2017 - Thursday May 4 - Leicestershire County Council Elections
- 2017 - Thursday, June 8 - General Election
General information about Charnwood elections
- Local Government Elections are held every four years
- Parliamentary Elections are held every five years
- European Parliamentary Elections are held every five years
- Police and Crime Commissioner Elections are held every four years
More details about these elections can be found on our types of elections page.
To stand for election, on the day of nomination, you must be:
- 18 or over
- Be a UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen
- Be registered to vote in or have either worked or lived in the area for one year
You cannot be a candidate if at the time of your nomination and on the day of the election:
- You work for the council
- You hold a politically restricted post for another local authority
- You are bankrupt
- You have served a prison sentence (or suspended sentence) of three months in the past five years
- You have been disqualified under any legislation relating to corrupt or illegal practices
The Electoral Commission website provides guidance and resources for candidates and agents for local elections.
Last updated: Fri 21st April, 2017 @ 16:05