Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of household and trade waste in lay-bys and quiet country lanes; it is on the increase both in Charnwood and nationally.
Fly-tipping is a criminal offence under waste legislation with unlimited fines and/or five years imprisonment.
Beware of unauthorised waste carriers - Don't end up with a fine resulting from the illegal dumping of your waste.
If you discover a fly-tip zone, you should:
- visually inspect the site, to try to see what the waste consists of, but do not touch it as it may be dangerous (contain syringes, toxic chemicals or similar) and there may be evidence that could identify the culprits
- Do not disturb the site
The sooner these incidents are reported the sooner they can be investigated or removed.
If I see someone fly-tipping what should I do?
We will try to identify anyone fly-tipping in order to prosecute them. Any information you can collect is therefore important to us. If possible, you should write down any details as soon as possible, using the guidance below.
You may also be asked to make a statement, so record the following details:
- Day, date, time including the time tipping stops
- Who was with you
- What you saw
- Description of fly-tippers
- What you saw them do
- Description of the vehicle used, especially the registration number, colour, make and model
- Where were you and what kind of view did you have
- How far away were you
- What was the weather like
- Description of the waste tipped - quantity, appearance, loose/bagged or drummed
- If you can, take photographs (without being seen by fly-tippers)
- Record details of how the waste was subsequently dealt with
|FOI 1141||24th Jan 2011||Refuse collections|
|FOI 2017||8th Jun 2012||Assaults on Refuse Collectors|
|FOI 2062||21st Jun 2012||Flytipping|
|FOI 2089||29th May 2012||Enviromental Health Info|
|FOI 1141||5th Jan 2011||Bin Collections|
|FOI 1190||7th Feb 2011||Waste Collection Data|
|FOI 3929||12th Feb 2014||Bin Lorries|
|FOI 3947||17th Feb 2014||Recycling|
|FOI 1338||9th Jun 2011||Assaults Against Refuse Collectors|
|FOI 3949||17th Feb 2014||Flytipping|
|FOI 1383||18th Jul 2011||Fly Tipping|
|FOI 4947||10th Sep 2014||Waste|
|FOI 1396||28th Jul 2011||Flytipping|
|FOI 1511||1st Nov 2011||Waste Collection Information|
|FOI 4010||27th Feb 2014||Bin Collection Dates|
|FOI 2688||5th Feb 2013||Anti-Social Behaviour Incidents|
|FOI 2796||15th Mar 2013||Spot Fines|
|FOI 2907||22nd Apr 2013||Fixed Penalty Notice|
|FOI 3008||21st May 2013||Assaults on Refuse Collectors|
|FOI 3392||24th Sep 2013||Nuisance Complaints|
|FOI 4457||27th May 2014||Refuse Collector Assaults|
|FOI 3678||5th Dec 2014||Waste Contracts|
Last updated: Tue 4th April, 2017 @ 08:46