Extending or Carrying Out Work to Your Home?
A set of Self Assessment forms have been developed for you to assess whether you require planning permission for your proposed development work.
Please ensure you answer the questions on the Self Assessment correctly, as problems can occur if you carry out any work without permission when it is required.
Before completing the Self Assessment please view our information and guidance on Extending Your Home and carrying out Work Around Your House, or visit the Planning Portal and use their Visual Guides with step by step guidance.
You should complete a Self Assessment Form even if you are just replacing an extension or outbuilding and base your answers on the proposed works taking place (regardless of the extent of the building being removed).
If you answer "YES" to any questions or your proposal does not comply with all the specified conditions then you will need to submit a planning application.
If you want written confirmation that Planning permission is not required then you will need to submit a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Development.
Even if you do not require planning permission you may still require Building Regulations Consent for the works you are proposing, particularly where any structural works are involved.
ATTACHED to the dwelling - includes conservatories, garages etc. and alterations to include windows, verandas, balconies etc.
- Self Assessment Form a Electronic May 2013 (Word Document, 0.18 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form a May 2013 (PDF Document, 0.24 Mb)
You may find your proposal requires a Prior Notification to be submitted for consideration prior to commencing work. Please use our Prior Notification Householder Development Form (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb) to ensure you provided the Council with all the necessary information.
Includes sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and containers for domestic heating etc.
- Self Assessment Form B Electronic (Word Document, 0.23 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form B (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)C - Porch
C - Porch
On an external door of a house
- Self Assessment Form C - Electronic Do I Need Planning Permission? (Word Document, 0.2 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form C (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
Includes additions or alterations to a roof including dormers, roof extensions, roof lights, reroofing etc.
- Self Assessment Form D - Electronic Do I Need Planning Permission? (Word Document, 0.23 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form D (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form E - Electronic Do I Need Planning Permission? (Word Document, 0.2 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form E (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
Drives, hardstandings, walls, fences, gates, access, dropped kerbs, etc.
- Self Assessment Form F - Electronic Do I Need Planning Permission? (Word Document, 0.24 Mb)
- Self Assessment Form F (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Roof, wall mounted or freestanding solar equipment, wind turbines and heat pumps.
Refer to legislation that came into effect on the 1st December 2011.
Last updated: Thu 18th September, 2014 @ 12:40