Skip to content

Self Assessment Forms

Householder Development

Are You Planning to Extend or Carry Out Work to Your Home?

Below are a set of self assessment forms which we have developed for you to assess whether you require planning permission for your proposed development.

If you answer "YES" to any questions or do not comply with any conditions then you will need to submit a planning application this can be submitted on-line through the Planning Portal.

If you want written confirmation that Planning permission is not required then you will need to submit a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Development.

Go to the bottom of this page to check if your property is in a Conservation Area or if it is a Listed Building.

Before completing the forms view our information and guidance on Extending Your Home or visit the Planning Portal and use their Visual Guides with step by step guidance.

Technical Guidance (PDF Document, 0.24 Mb)

You should complete a Self Assessment Form even if you are replacing an extension or outbuilding and base your answers on the proposed works regardless of the extent of the building is being removed.

If you live in The Green Mountsorrel then please note that there are restrictions on carrying out external work that is usually permitted development. Article 4 Direction and Plan.

You may also require Building Regulations Consent for the works you are proposing please refer to our Building Work Self Assessment forms for further guidance

Problems can occur if you do any work without permission when it is required, so please ensure you answer the questions on the self assessment correctly.

Note: The "Word" versions can be completed on screen then printed or returned electronically to to enable us to record the self assessment details. The hyperlinks to relevant information only work in the PDF version and not in "Word Forms", we apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

A - Extension (form updated 30 May 2013)

ATTACHED to the dwelling - includes conservatories, garages etc. and alterations to include windows, verandas, balconies etc.

You may find your proposal requires a Prior Notification to be submitted for consideration prior to commencing work. Please use our Prior Notification Householder Development Form (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb) to ensure you provided the Council with all the necessary information.

B - Outbuildings

Includes sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and containers for domestic heating etc.

C - Porch

On an external door of a house.

D - Roof

Includes additions or alterations to a roof including dormers, roof extensions, roof lights, reroofing etc.

E - Chimneys, Flues, Soil, or Vent Pipes

F - Access, Hardstanding and walls/fencing

Drives, hardstandings, walls, fences, gates, access, dropped kerbs, etc.

G - Solar Equipment and Wind Turbines

Roof, wall mounted or freestanding solar equipment, wind turbines and heat pumps.

Refer to legislation that came into effect on the 1st December 2011.

Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (as amended) Schedule 2 Part 40

If you require a formal decision as to whether a use or development, proposed or existing is lawful then you should submit an application for a certificate of Lawful Development. (fee £75.00) Further guidance is available Lawful Development Certificates - A User's Guide from Communities and Local Government and an application can be submitted on-line through the Planning Portal. Downloadable forms are also available to complete. Planning Portal is also a useful information resource on whether or not you need permission.

If you find you need to submit an application this can be submitted on-line through the Planning Portal.

Last updated: Wed 20th August, 2014 @ 11:55

Back to top