- Requested on
- Tue 26th April, 2011
- FOI 1283
- Information provided
Please provide NAPIT with relevant details from your organisation’s Constitution, Policies, Rules and/or Procedures (or other relevant documents)which specifically guides/ recommends or mandates your organisation to limit or exclude electrical work being undertaken under British Standard 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations’) by NAPIT members where other organisation’s members (e.g. the ECA or NICEIC) are permitted of recognised.
Our request is also concerned with the consequences of such Constitution, Policies, Rules and/or Procedures (or other relevant document) where BS 7671 work is undertaken by a third-party but where your authority is affecting the choice of a suitable contractor, as can be illustrated from the procuring, authorising/ approving, requiring or recommending works under British Standard 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations) in relation to the following duties;
• Building Control Service under the Building Act 1984
• Municipal Buildings responsibility – Construction and Maintenance
• As a Licensing Authority, under the Licensing Act 2003, in relation to certification required by converted/embedded conditions; or those agreed to (following a relevant representation) or imposed on licensees by the Licensing Committee
• Housing Act 2004, in relation to grants, formal notices requiring works or works in default
• Works on Council Houses / Housing Stock and related buildings
• Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974, in relation to the service of notice requiring such work or advice on potential electrical contracting companies/ membership bodies
Furthermore, where your Constitution, Polices, Rules and/or Procedures (or other relevant documents) specifically guides/ recommends or mandates your organisation to limit or exclude electrical work being undertaken in relation to the functions listed above, please would you provide the details on the decision and the reasons why the decision(s) was made.
Following the above information request I am pleased to provide the following information:
There are no Charnwood Borough Council policy, rule or procedure documents which recommend one competent person organisation over another, or exclude any competent person organisation from carrying out any electrical work.
All guidance states that electrical work needs to comply with the relevant regulation/s, and it is recommended that the work be carried out by members of a competent persons scheme. No reference is made to any one particular scheme. The building regulation pages on our website provides a link to the Existing Competent Persons Schemes, which includes NAPIT. (http://www.communities.gov.uk/planningandbuilding/buildingregulations/competentpersonsschemes/existingcompetentperson/)