- Requested on
- Wed 27th August, 2014
- FOI 4884
- Information provided
From 13 December 2014, food businesses in the UK will have to follow new rules in labelling pre-packed foods and non-prepacked (loose) foods. This is part of the European Union Food Information for Consumers Regulation (EU FIC) coming into force.
I am happy to receive your response by email.
• What press releases / announcements have you issued relating to these new rules?
• What publicity (including, but not limited to leaflets and emails) have you issued relating to these new rules?
• Please provide internal emails (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) detailing discussions regarding the implementation of these new rules?
• Please provide details of internal meetings (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) and discussions regarding the implementation of these new rules?
• Please provide internal emails (from 1st Jan 2014 to date) detailing publicity and the publicising of these new rules.
• What training has taken place for council staff in connection with enforcement of these new rules?
• Provide a copy of the enforcement policy for these new rules.
• What information have you sent to any of your own departments (including Social Services, Adult Services, Education) about these new rules?
• How many press releases have you issued relating to these new rules?
• How many press releases have you issued in total from September 1st 2013 to date?
• Please provide evidence of how local food businesses are supported and prepared for these new rules, including any internal communications to support evidence of this process.
• Please provide any internal emails or minutes from meetings to support the decision making process in the development of any food standards projects.
With regard to this enquiry, please note that the remit of Charnwood Borough Councils’ regulatory duties does not include Food Standards Enforcement. This function is carried out by Leicestershire County Councils’ Trading Standards Service. Leicestershire County Council is also responsible for Social Services, Adult Services and Education. Therefore, the majority of your questions should be primarily directed to Leicestershire County Council.
Charnwood Borough Councils’ Regulatory Services Officers will not carry out inspections with the purpose of enforcing the Food Information Regulations 2014. Leicestershire County Council Trading Standards Officers will enforce these regulations. Accordingly, Charnwood Borough Council will be working in conjunction with Trading Standards Officers, who will be taking the lead role in all proactive and reactive enforcement. Our role will involve the provision of information and advice only.
Publicity regarding the new regulations is being planned by Charnwood Borough Council, via the Leicester Food Liaison Group, but has not been finalised.
Training has been undertaken by two Food Safety Lead Environmental Health Officers, who attended the Food Standards Agency Course on allergens / FIR14. Other officers are due to attend this course during October. All Food Safety Officers have completed the FSA on-line allergen training course.
As Charnwood Borough council will not enforce the Food Information Regulations 2014, the Enforcement Policy will remain unchanged.