|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of St Michael Melton Road Thurmaston LE4 8DR|
|Volume, Map, Item||285, 6, 131|
Parish Church, exterior largely of 1848 though the west tower is C14. Internally some early C14 work remains, including the arcades. Randomly coursed granite rubble throughout, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Buttressed tower of 2 stages, with C19 west doorway in roll moulded and hollow chamfered arch. Two light C19 window above. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. Buttressed south aisle is of 1848: the west window is in a decorated style the others are perpendicular. Three lights with paired lights above, in square headed openings with hoodmoulds and corbel heads. South doorway has roll moulded and hollow chamfered archway. Aisle and nave under a single sweep of roof. Chancel also of 1848 in decorated style. Four light east window. To the north east of Chancel a polygonal projecting chapel. North aisle has similar details to south, with the addition of a large gabled porch with parvise.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.