|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||The Old Hall Coppice Lane Queniborough LE7 3DR|
|Volume, Map, Item||285, 3, 45|
|Description||Large house 1675-6. Brick on cobble plinth with Swithland slate roof. Originally an H-plan house, but now lacking the front right hand wing, and with a central wing added to the front elevation in the C19. 2 storeys with attics, left hand gabled wing with 8 light wood mullioned and transomed windows to ground and 1st floors, 2 light casement in attic. Dated in gable apex, 1676 with initials B over T.E. Adjoining this, and advanced slightly, is the later gabled wing, also with wood mullioned and transomed windows. Recessed to its right one bay of the original central section contains a 6 light mullioned and transomed window to the ground floor, 4 lights above. Refronted gable replacing former wing to right with door in wood architrave wood mullioned and transomed window above. Decorative cyma moulded brick bands form string course and arches over ground and 1st floor windows in the original sections of the facade, and are then continuous across side and rear of the house. Massive brick central stacks, and on end gable. Original H-plan retained on rear elevation. Symmetrical outer gables with decorative brick bands rising over 4 light mullioned and transomed windows on ground and 1st floors, and forming hoodmould to attic window. Central section recessed but also gabled, 2 decorative brick arches to each floor, those on ground floor unrelated to the single large mullioned and transomed window. Doorway to right. Date in right hand gable apex, 1675 with initials B over T.E. Interior has various beamed rooms, 1 with inglenook and 2 original newel staircases with turned balusters. Massive roof timbers with windbraces etc. Lower service wing projects to left of front elevation, joined to the main house by a C19 addition, but itself probably late C17 or early C18. Brick, with Swithland slate roof. Former stables to left with 3 partially blocked doors and 3 gabled dormers in the roof. Coped gable to right, then main range. Three 2 light casement windows, only one original, with segmentally arched brick head. Door with brick arched head and a wide shallow bank arch to its right at ground level. One other original window and one insertion. Three dormers above. Moulded brick eaves. One curved principal roof truss visible within. The house may incorporate elements of an earlier house where Prince Rupert stayed in 1642, during the Civil War.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.