|Date Listed||Thu 1st September, 2005|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||War Memorial Melton Road Barrow upon Soar LE12 8NS|
|Parish||Barrow upon Soar|
|Ward||Barrow & Sileby West|
|Conservation Area||Barrow upon Soar|
|Description||War Memorial. 1921. Designed by William Douglas Caroe (1865-1938). Clipsham stone. A cross on a tall shaft raised on a square pedestal and stepped hexagonal base. Decorative carved features including a niche near the foot of the base of the shaft containing a figure of St George. Inscribed "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS" and with the names of those that died. In 1920 the Parish Council decided to erect a memorial to the dead of the First World War. Paid for by public subscription, it was dedicated in May 1921 by Col R E Martin of the Leicestershire Regiment. It was subsequently also dedicated to the dead of the Second World War. Summary of importance: A good example of a memorial to the dead of the First and Second World Wars. Designed by an eminent architect.|
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.