A long-term strategy to regenerate part of Charnwood has been launched.
Charnwood Borough Council is spearheading the Watermead Regeneration Corridor project which will look to revitalise Thurmaston and the surrounding area including Watermead Park over the next 15 years.
An action plan has been developed which sets out nearly 30 short, medium and long-term goals.
The main objectives are to:
- improve walking links between the park, Leicester City and Thurmaston and to improve the experience of visitors to the area
- develop the public areas in Thurmaston, particularly along Melton Road, to make them more attractive for pedestrians while encouraging the redevelopment of buildings for community, cultural and food and drink uses
- improve access to Watermead Country Park, add a visitor centre, raise its profile and encourage it to be used for events
- encourage more use of the River Soar and Grand Union Canal by adding moorings and making the open spaces around both more attractive
- over the long term, encourage high-quality residential, business and leisure development near to Leicester Marina
The project will require significant funding which the borough council expects to come from a range of sources including partners, grants and contributions from new developments in the area secured in section 106 legal agreements.
Some developments will also have to be carried out by partner agencies such as Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council as they both own different parts of Watermead Country Park, as well as other agencies and the local community.
Cllr Eric Vardy, Lead Member for Regeneration at Charnwood Borough Council, said: “This is the start of something exciting for Thurmaston and the surrounding area.
“We have outlined a plan to regenerate this area and make it a better place to live, work and visit and we want to make it a destination for people.
“We are not getting carried away and fully accept that this is a long-term strategy and it is going to take time.
“The success of this plan will also depend upon solid, partnership-working for the good of the local community.
“There are many challenges ahead including securing funding to make some of the proposals happen, but we are confident that with the community’s help we can make it happen.”
A Watermead Members’ Advisory Group has been formed which includes borough councillors and representatives from Birstall and Thurmaston Parish Council, Wanlip Parish Meeting and Syston Town Council.
This group will provide a sounding board for the work being done by officers.
For more information visit www.charnwood.gov.uk/watermead