Cllr David Slater has announced he will be stepping down as leader of Charnwood Borough Council in November.
Cllr Slater has been at the helm for seven years but says now the time is right to handover to someone new.
He will formally resign as leader at the full council meeting on November 6 and members will vote on a replacement.
Cllr Slater said: “I have to consider what is in the best interests of the Council and I feel after seven years that the time is right to step down as leader.
“I am incredibly proud of what the Council has achieved while I have been leading it and I would like to thank my fellow members, staff and partners for their support.
“Leading the council has been a challenge, but an enjoyable experience and I wish my successor all the best for the future.
“I will continue to remain a councillor at Charnwood, serving the residents in the Quorn and Mountsorrel Castle ward and the Council in whatever capacity the new leader asks me to.”
Cllr Slater, 69, joined Charnwood Borough Council in 2001 and became leader in 2010 having previously served on cabinet as lead member for housing and planning.