A consultation has been launched about Charnwood Borough Council’s draft local plan which will guide growth and development until 2036.
The draft plan sets out how the Council will balance future growth in the area while making sure the environment is looked after and communities have the infrastructure they need.
The consultation got under way on November 4 and runs until December 16, 2019. Residents, parish and town councils, businesses, other agencies and communities in general, including schools and GP surgeries are being urged to have a say.
The Council has launched a campaign to raise awareness of the consultation which will include displays in three areas, Loughborough, Shepshed and Syston. The consultation will also be highlighted on the Council’s website, social media accounts, through the media and many organisations are being contacted directly.
A spokesperson for Charnwood Borough Council, said: “The draft Charnwood Local Plan 2019-36 will be critical to how the borough develops and it is important people can help shape this vision.
“We would encourage people to get involved and have a say. We will be out in the communities during the consultation and there is a wealth of information on the Council website. We would encourage people to have a look."
To find out more and have a say, people can visit www.charnwood.gov.uk/draftlocalplan
A display about the draft Charnwood Local Plan 2019-36 will be at the locations below. Officers will be available at the times indicated:
- November 4-Dec 16: Charnwood Borough Council offices, Southfield Road, Loughborough, LE11 2TX
- November 4-13: Shepshed Glenmore Centre, Thorpe Road, Shepshed, LE12 9LU
- November 14-Dec 4: Syston Town Council offices, Community Centre, School Street, Syston, LE7 1HN. Officers will be present on Tuesday November 19, between 2pm-7pm
- Thursday, November 14: Shepshed Community Centre, Charnwood Road, 2.30pm-6pm. Officers will be present.
- Thursday, November 28: Loughborough Town Hall, 2pm-7pm. Officers will be present.
- December 5-16: Shepshed Glenmore Centre, Thorpe Road, Shepshed, LE12 9LU
The draft Charnwood Local Plan 2019-36 includes:
- land for around 7,250* additional new homes up until 2036, including:
- around 1,600 homes around the Leicester urban edge including Syston, Thurmaston, Birstall, Hamilton edge/south of A46 near Anstey
- around 1,900 homes in Loughborough
- around 2,000 in Shepshed
- around 900 homes at service centres - Anstey, Barrow upon Soar, Mountsorrel, Quorn, Rothley, Sileby and Syston
- 800 homes at other locations in the borough
- these homes would secure around £43 million for local infrastructure improvements including roads, schools, health provision, transport and more. When added to the homes already planned for in the current local plan, the total is more than £100 million between 2019-36.
- providing 192 acres of general employment land along with a further 190 acres at the Loughborough Science and Enterprise Park to support Loughborough’s continued role in the knowledge-based sector and provide for around 8,900 new jobs to 2036
- commitments for securing affordable housing for all new developments of 10 homes or more
- a new policy on Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs) proposing tighter restrictions on new HMOs and applications to create larger HMOs
- one additional retail site in Loughborough town centre
- support for Loughborough town centre by encouraging a more diverse mix of uses including retail, residential, leisure, office and professional services
- greater consideration in the planning process of the number of takeaways in an area when considering proposals for new ones to consider local amenity and support healthy communities
- retention of natural open spaces between settlements and green wedges around the urban edge of Leicester
- opportunity areas for wind and solar energy installations which could power thousands of homes are identified to help carbon reduction
- encouraging sustainable construction methods
More information is available on the Council website www.charnwood.gov.uk/draftlocalplan