Published: Fri 6th May, 2022
A competition has been launched to find the best hanging basket in Charnwood in celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
The Council’s open spaces partner idverde and Loughborough in Bloom are inviting residents across the borough to put on their gardening gloves and plant-up a hanging basket to mark the Jubilee.
On February 6, 2022, Her Majesty The Queen became the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service to the people of the United Kingdom, the Realms and the Commonwealth.
The prizes up for grabs are:
- first prize – an annual family membership for The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS)
- second and third prize - £50 National Garden Gift Voucher.
Pat Cook, chair of Loughborough in Bloom said: “The board is delighted to launch this competition with idverde and the Council to find the best hanging basket in Charnwood.
“We know there are many keen gardeners out there and we want to see entries from across the borough. We hope the competition will give people in Charnwood an opportunity to mark and celebrate the Platinum Jubilee through gardening.
“Whether people want to plant up a hanging basket with flowers, vegetables or give special consideration to the colour scheme, we are really looking forward to seeing the plants and baskets at their very best.”
The closing date for entries is Sunday July 31, 2022.
The judging panel will choose the best 10 hanging baskets which will be shortlisted to the final three during the first two weeks of August.
Competition winners will be announced in September.
How to enter
To enter, all you need to do is:
- email two photos of your hanging baskets to firstname.lastname@example.org
- include your name, contact number and address in the body of the email
- mark your email subject as ‘Hanging Basket Competition’
People can also send entries by post to: idverde Hanging Basket Competition, Derby Rd Playing Fields, Cotton Way, Loughborough, LE11 5FJ.
Please remember to include your contact details as well as two photos.
Terms of competition
- Open to any individual in Charnwood except employees of Charnwood Borough Council, idverde or members of the Loughborough in Bloom board.
- Only photos of hanging baskets can be accepted. No window boxes or any other type of planter please.
- All entries need to be received by Sunday July 31, 2022.
- By entering, you understand your photos, name and location may be published in the 2022 Loughborough in Bloom portfolio and on the Council’s and idverde communication channels including social media.