Published: Thu 5th January, 2023
Over £60,000 has been awarded to 15 fantastic community projects in Charnwood.
The borough council has awarded Charnwood Community Grants to 12 community groups and organisations to support projects including a counselling group, a coffee shop offering a warm space to residents over winter and other groups who are supporting residents during the rise in the cost-of-living.
The council awards Charnwood Community Grants worth thousands of pounds every year as part of its commitment to create healthy communities.
Cllr Leigh Harper-Davies, the Council’s lead member for communities, said: “I am pleased to see so many fantastic groups and projects be awarded with community grants once again.
“We are committed to supporting community projects across Charnwood and every single one of these groups offer a lot to the community.
“I would encourage all groups and projects to take a look into our grant’s programmes and the criteria for funding when they relaunch in April 2023. These grants can go a long way in supporting projects that help deliver for the community.”
A group which has been awarded with a £1,500 Charnwood Community Grant is Birstall Methodist Church for their coffee shop. The shop offers a warm space to residents within the community over the winter months and it welcomes around 200 people each week.
Passion is a group based in Shepshed which engages and works with young people across the borough to help develop their skills to make them more employable and offers a safe space. They have been awarded £5,000 which will be put towards staffing youth workers at the hub to continue their good work.
£2,000 has been granted to Sacred Heart Church in Loughborough. The funding will go towards warm hubs for residents in Shelthorpe which will be running through the winter months until March 2023.
Three Charnwood Community Facility Grants have also been awarded to projects in the borough.
The Loughborough Generator Project has been awarded £15,000 which will be funding building work and the ventilation system at the property. The project will re-open an arts space in the town.
The 12 Charnwood Community Grants projects awarded:
- £5,000 to Passion towards a drop-in and other activities
- £3,248 to Quetzal towards counselling sessions
- £3,000 to Falcon Support Services towards a drop-in service
- £2,000 to MADS Group towards running costs and activities
- £2,000 to Artspace Loughborough towards Into the Outwoods Tree People Trail 2023
- £2,500 to Shepshed Dolphins Swimming Group towards pool hire costs
- £1,000 to Menphys towards Charnwood Mini Menphys
- £2,550 to Age UK Leicester Shire and Rutland towards the Charnwood Men and Women in Sheds project
- £1,652 to Second Time Around CIC towards Second Time Around Relaunch
- £2,000 to Sacred Heart Church Loughborough towards a warm hubs project
- £500 to Thurcaston and Cropston Gardening Club towards the Thurcaston and Cropston Annual Craft and Produce Show 2023
- £1,500 to The Coffee Shop – Birstall Methodist Church towards a warm spaces project.
The three Charnwood Community Facility Grants awarded:
- Up to £15,000 to Loughborough Generator towards building work and a ventilation system for the Loughborough Generator Project
- Up to £3,917 to 1st Mountsorrel Scout Group towards a kitchen refurbishment
- Up to £14,900 to King George’s Field Charity towards an annexe replacement kitchen.
To find out more about Charnwood Community Grants and how to apply for future grants, visit our webpage.