Skip to content

Advice if you are homeless

If you are homeless or think you may become homeless, you should contact the council as soon as possible either by completing the online form, or contacting our Housing Needs team who will discuss the housing options available to you.

If you are aged between 16 to 17 and think you may become homeless, contact the Single Access Point on 01509 220560 for advice, support, and an initial assessment. 

Who does the council have a legal responsibility to assist?

If you meet all of the necessary criteria, we have a legal duty to help you to secure suitable accommodation - this may be an offer of a tenancy for a council property, a Housing Association property, or a private rental property.

If you have received a decision from the council stating we have no duty to assist you, you have the right to appeal against that decision. 

How much choice do I have about my re-housing?

Charnwood Borough Council operates a Choice Based Lettings scheme. Council and Housing Association properties that become available are advertised on Charnwood HomeSearch and homeseekers bid for suitable properties that meet their requirements.     

It may not be possible to make an offer of accommodation that meets your preferences. This is because of the lack of properties available in many areas of the borough. 

If you need help with bidding for properties, you should inform the housing officer who is dealing with your homeless application as soon as possible.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top