Thorough hand washing and drying is the most important factor in preventing the spread of gastro-intestinal infection.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact the Food Hygiene and Safety Team.
How to avoid and treat gastro-intestinal infections
- Thoroughly clean hands and nails by washing well with soap and hot water especially after visiting the toilet. Keep nails cut short
- Wash hands after: handling the patient, handling their bedding, handling their clothing, and handling sick room equipment
- Always wash your hands before preparing or serving food. If possible avoid preparing food until you are symptom free
- Always wash your hands before eating meals
- Disinfect toilet seats, flush handles, wash hand basin taps and toilet door handles daily
- Do not share eating utensils and drinking cups
- Do not share towels or nailbrushes
- Particular attention should be given to ensuring that children wash their hands regularly and do not put objects or fingers in their mouths
Last updated: Fri 26th January, 2018 @ 11:22