Skip to Content

Backdating entitlements

Entitlements will usually start from the Monday after the date a claim is received by us, but there are special rules for people claiming:

  • Income Support
  • Income based employment and support allowance
  • Pension Credits
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • First time tenants

Please contact the Benefits Service for more information.

It is possible for your benefit or entitlement claim to be paid from a date earlier than the date we received your claim, although it is best to claim Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support immediately without replying on backdating.

To make a new claim for Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax support complete our online new claims form.

Backdating for people who have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credits

If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credits we can backdate your Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support claim for up to three months before the date when you made your claim, as long as you would have been entitled.

In these cases the three month backdating will happen automatically, but we will need to see proof of your income, savings, and rent where applicable, for that period when you make your claim.

Backdating for people under the qualifying age for State Pension Credits

If you are under the qualifying age for State Pension Credits, your claim will not be backdated unless you have continuous good cause for not making the claim at the earlier date.

The maximum period that your claim can be backdated, with effect from April, 2016, is one month from the day you apply for your claim to be backdated. Here are some examples of what might be accepted as good cause to backdate your application:

  • You were too ill to claim at the time and no one else could help you
  • You did not know about a change in the law that meant you could qualify
  • Your claim involved complex law that you could not be expected to understand
  • You were told you could not get benefit by the council, Benefits Agency, Job Centre Plus, Pensions Service or an Advice Centre

The fact that you did not know about Housing and or Local Council Tax Support or did not think that you would not be entitled are not in themselves good cause for backdating.

Any reasons for not claiming at an earlier date must apply to the whole of the period that you are asking for backdating.

How to apply for backdating

You can write a letter asking for backdating, or write your request on the 'additional information’ page in our application form. You must tell us when you would like the benefit to be backdated from and reasons why you didn’t make your claim earlier. If you need help with this contact us immediately.

You should provide letters from your Doctor, Social Worker or Advice Worker or any other documents that you consider may help your claim. We may need to ask you for more information to make a decision based on what you have told us.

If we refuse your claim for backdating, we will write to you to explain our decision and give you details of what to do if you disagree with our decision.

Share this page:

Last updated: Mon 30th July, 2018 @ 14:21