As part of the UK Government's welfare reform measures changes have been made to benefits in Charnwood. These changes have had an impact on working age people claiming benefits or renting a home from us.
Changes to the benefit system can be found below:
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- Spare Room Subsidy (Bedroom Tax)
- Universal Credit
- Benefit Cap - Dwp Factsheet (PDF Document, 0.17 Mb)
Please be aware that residents of pension age are not effected by these changes.
- Radio Information Soundbite About Benefit Changes (MP3 Audio, 0.88 Mb)
If you are a working age benefit claimant and want to find out more, please contact us on
- Tel: 0345 609 1258
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a working age council tenant and receive benefits, please contact us on:
- Tel: 01509 634666.
For more information please visit the Government's website.
Where do I go for more help?
In cases of extreme hardship, we can offer a Council Tax Discretionary Discount, which offers short-term help to those suffering as a result of welfare changes.
Important Discretionary Discount notes:
- The discount is applicable for Council Tax only
- Applicants do not have to be in receipt of Council Tax Support
- No cash payments are made, it is a discount on the Council Tax Bill
- The amount of discount given will be subject to individual applicant circumstances
- The application is processed by the billing authority
- The discount is not an emergency payment, or cash payment
If you receive Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support you can apply for a Discretionary Payment in order to help with your rent, housing costs, and Council Tax bill.
Last updated: Tue 7th February, 2017 @ 14:40