Below are some important changes to Charnwood services over the festive period.
The Christmas period will see changes to the dates and times of many waste collections and other services - including refuse, recycling, garden and clinical.
Christmas collections - December 25, 2018 to January 5, 2019
Please note: There will be no garden waste collections from Monday December 24 to Friday January 4, 2019 inclusive. Please ensure your bin is out by 6am on your changed collection day.
- Normal collection day Tuesday December 25 (Christmas Day) changed to Thursday December 27
- Normal collection day Wednesday December 26 (Boxing Day) changed to Friday December 28
- Normal collection day Thursday December 27 changed to Saturday December 29
- Normal collection day Friday December 28 changed to Monday December 31
- Normal collection day Tuesday January 1, 2019 (New Year's Day) changed to Wednesday January 2, 2019
- Normal collection day Wednesday January 2 changed to Thursday January 3
- Normal collection day Thursday January 3 changed to Friday January 4
- Normal collection day Friday January 4 changed to Saturday January 5
Bulky waste collections - Christmas 2018 and early 2019
Any bulky waste requests made between 3pm Friday December 21 and 3pm Thursday December 27 will be collected on Friday December 28 or Saturday December 29, 2018.
Please leave your items out by 6am on Friday December 28.
Any Bulky waste requests made between 3pm Thursday December 27 and 3pm Monday December 31 will be collected on Wednesday January 2 or Thursday January 3.
Please leave your items out by 6am on Wednesday January 2, 2019.
Any Bulky waste requests made between 3pm Monday December 31, 2018 and 3pm Friday January 4, 2019 will be collected on Monday January 7, 2019.
Please leave your items out by 6am on Monday January 7, 2019.
Real Christmas tree collections
Real Christmas trees can either be disposed of at a local tip site, or put out and collected as part of our next garden waste collection.
Non-subscribers to the garden waste services (those customers that do not have a garden waste bin) just need to present the tree on the day the garden waste is collected in your area.
Customers with a garden waste bin can present the tree at the side of the bin and it will be taken.
Trees should not be over 6ft tall – if they are they will need to be cut in two.
Collection dates will be between Monday January 7 to Monday January 21, 2019.
If for any reason your tree is not collected, please call the Contact Centre on 01509 634563 to arrange for the crew to return and collect.
Please check My Charnwood to find out when your next garden waste collection will be.
Council offices at Southfields
The main council office building at Southfields (including the main switchboard - 01509 263151) will close at 5pm on Monday December 24 (last ticket to see a Customer Services Advisor in the Customer Service Centre will be issued at 4.45pm) and remain closed until 8.30am on Wednesday January 2, 2018.
The Council's Contact Centre arrangements are as follows:
- Closed from 5pm Monday December 24 to 8.30am Thursday December 27, 2018
- Open 8.30am to 1pm on Thursday December 27, Friday December 28 and Monday December 31 for urgent Housing and Cleansing / Refuse enquiries only
- Closed from 1pm Monday December 31 to 8.30am Wednesday January 2, 2019
- Tel: 01509 634567 (Homelessness, Housing Allocations, the Housing Register) or
- Tel: 01509 634666 (Tenancies, Repairs, Maintenance, Rents & Sheltered Housing)
Cleansing, refuse and recycling issues
- Tel: 01509 634563
The following numbers can be used in an emergency outside of opening hours
- Council Emergency 0333 2008811
- Emergency Housing 01509 634567
- Emergency Housing Repairs 01509 634666
- Lifeline Service 01509 643979
Other services at the council offices
Jobcentre Plus will close for Christmas at 5pm on Friday, December 21. They will be open between 9am-5pm on Thursday December 27, Friday December 28 and Monday December 31. Jobcentre plus will be closed on New Year’s Day. Leicestershire Police based at Southfields will close for Christmas at 5pm on Monday December 24. They will be open between 8:30am-5pm on Thursday December 27, Friday December 28 and Monday December 31 (last ticket will be issued 15 minutes before closing). Leicestershire Police based at Southfields will be closed on New Year’s Day. Both services will be open as usual from 8:30am on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Museum opening times
- Friday December 21 – open 10am to 3pm
- Saturday December 22 – open 10am to 3pm
- Sunday December 23 to Tuesday January 1 – closed
- Wednesday January 2 to Monday January 14 – closed for annual maintenance period
- Tuesday January 15 – open as normal
Leisure Centre opening times
The Loughborough, Soar Valley and South Charnwood leisure centres will be open for business during the Christmas break.
Please see the opening and closing times below. These dates and times are valid for all three leisure centres.
- Monday December 24 – 7am - 3pm
- Tuesday December 25 – CLOSED
- Wednesday December 26 – CLOSED
- Thursday December 27 – 7am - 3pm
- Friday December 28 – 7am - 3pm
- Saturday December 29 – 8am - 3pm
- Sunday December 30 – 8am - 3pm
- Monday December 31 – 7am - 3pm
- Tuesday January 1, 2019 – CLOSED
For more information, please contact the individual leisure centres directly. Their contact details are below:
Loughborough Leisure Centre
Address: Browns Lane, Loughborough, LE11 3HE
Telephone: 01509 611080
Soar Valley Leisure Centre
Address: Kingfisher Road, Mountsorrel, Leicester , LE12 7FG
Telephone: 01162 375 267
South Charnwood Leisure Centre
Address: Parkstone Road, Syston, LE7 1LY
Telephone: 01162 640 057
Markets over Christmas
There are several markets taking place over the Christmas period. These are:
- Thursday December 20 - Retail Market
- Friday December 21 - Retail Market
- Saturday December 22 - Retail Market
- Sunday December 23 - Extra Retail Market
- Saturday December 29 - Retail Market as normal
The vintage market on Friday December 28 is unfortunately closed.
Shopmobility times over Christmas are:
- Tuesday December 25 (Christmas Day) - CLOSED
- Wednesday December 26 (Boxing Day) - CLOSED
- Thursday December 27 - CLOSED
- Friday December 28 - CLOSED
- Saturday December 29 - 9.00am – 3.30pm
- Tuesday January 1, 2019 (New Year's Day) - CLOSED
- Wednesday January 2, 2019 – Open 9.00am - 3.30pm – Training Only
For full opening times, head to the shopmobility webpage.
Last updated: Wed 9th January, 2019 @ 12:12