Below is a full list of Commonwealth and European Union countries. If a person is a citizen of one of these countries, and living in the UK, this person is eligible to register to vote in UK elections.
To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must live in the UK and either have permission to remain in the UK or not require such leave. The definition of a ‘Commonwealth citizen’ includes citizens of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories.
Citizens of the European Union (who are not Commonwealth citizens or Citizens of the Republic of Ireland) can vote in European and local elections in the UK, but are not able to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections or referendums.
European Union countries
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
- Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus*, Dominica, Fiji Islands**, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta*, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe**.
*Although also EU member states, citizens of Cyprus and Malta are eligible to be registered to vote in respect of all elections held in the UK.
**Citizens of Fiji and Zimbabwe retain their voting rights despite the countries having been suspended from the Commonwealth.
British overseas territories
- Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, St Helena and dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha), South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Sovereign base areas on Cyprus, Turks and Caicos Islands.
British Crown Dependencies
- Isle of Man, The Channel Islands, including: Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Alderney, Herm and the other inhabited Channel Islands.
The Open Register is a version of the Electoral Register which can be purchased by the general public. To opt out of the Open Register, please use the details below:
- Opt out of the Open Register Online
- Tel: 01509 634546
Opting out of this version of the register will not affect you right to vote. More information about the Electoral Register can be found at: https://www.charnwood.gov.uk/pages/electoralregister.
Last updated: Wed 16th March, 2016 @ 09:03