Get a review of an anti-social behaviour or hate incident case.

A review is known as a Community Trigger

If you are reporting an anti-social behaviour incident for the first time, please report it via the ASB webpage.

The ASB Case Review, often referred to as the ‘Community Trigger’, is a statutory process for victims of anti-social behaviour or hate incidents who believe they have not had a satisfactory response to their complaints. Where a locally determined threshold is met (detailed below), victims can require the relevant bodies in the local area to undertake a formal review of the case, and those bodies have a statutory duty to undertake that review.

It is designed to ensure that the police, local authorities and other relevant organisations work together to try and resolve any complaints of anti-social behaviour and hate incidents by talking about the problem, sharing information and using resources to try to reach an agreeable outcome.

Community Triggers can be raised by victims or representatives of victims (where written consent is provided by the victim), and victims can be individuals or businesses.

When to report

A request to activate a Community Trigger can be made if, within the last six months:

  • you (as an individual) have reported to the Council, Police or a Registered Housing Provider (social landlord) three separate incidents of anti-social behaviour within your area, or
  • you have been a victim of a hate incident,


  • you believe that no effective action has been taken.

It should also be noted that for a Community Trigger request to be considered, you must have reported each incident within one calendar month of it having occurred. 

How to report

The Community Trigger is not a first port of call. If you are reporting an incident of anti-social behaviour for the first time, then please report it via the ASB webpage.

To activate the Community Trigger, please complete a Community Trigger Report Form below and forward it on to the single point of contact for Community Triggers within the Community Safety Team (contact details below):

Email the completed form to our Community Safety Manager at

Alternatively, you can send hard copies to:

Community Safety Manager
Charnwood Borough Council
Southfield Road
LE11 2TX

Applications can and will be rejected if they are identified as prejudicial, discriminatory, malicious, unreasonable, vexatious or frivolous. In such a case details of this decision will be provided including any appeal options.

What happens next

Once you have submitted the Community Trigger report form, the team will acknowledge your request, review all related reports and evidence and confirm whether or not you meet the criteria for a formal review.  

If your application does not meet the threshold for a full review, you will be provided with the rationale for this decision and information regarding what you can do next.

If the threshold is met, you will be informed, and the review will take up to 28 days from the date of that decision. You will be provided with further details of what this entails at that time.

In the meantime, if you need to report any further anti-social behaviour or hate related incidents please report it via the ASB webpage or call Leicestershire Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.


For full details of the appeals process, please see the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review Policy document.

The decision of the independent CSP Chair on any grounds of appeal is final.


The Community Trigger does not replace the existing complaints procedure. You still have the right to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman or to the Independent Police Complaints Commission if you believe that your complaint has not been dealt with adequately.

Local Community Trigger Data

Community Triggers Received

Threshold Reached

Threshold not met

Case Reviewed

Action plan developed

April 1, 2021 - March 31, 2022






April 1, 2020 - March 31, 2021






April 1, 2019 - March 31, 2020






April 1, 2018 - March 31, 2019






Last updated: Mon 13th June, 2022 @ 12:58