Skip to Content

Our complaints process

We aim to provide efficient and good quality services to all our customers, but on some occasions things can go wrong. We will do our best to resolve your complaint about our services to your satisfaction, and we’ll try to learn from this mistake to avoid it happening again.

At any time, you can refer your complaint to your local councillor. If you would like to find out who your local councillor is, you can enter your address into the My Charnwood area of the website, or view our councillor web pages. 

Alternatively you can give us a call on:

What happens after I complain?

If you have made a complaint abut our services, we will respond to you within 10 working days. Sometimes we may be unable to resolve your issue, in which case you may wish to make a formal complaint to the service who will review this and get back to you within ten working days.

If you are still not happy following the response of the formal complaint; a senior officer, independent of the service you are complaining about, will look into the complaint and respond within 20 working days.

When can I complain?

You can complain to us when:

  • We have made a mistake in the way we provided a service
  • We have failed to provide a service
  • We have delayed in providing a service
  • We have failed to act in a proper manner
  • We have provided an unfair service
  • An informal response has failed to resolve an issue
  • Our contractors/agents/consultants have failed to resolve a problem

The complaints procedure doesn’t apply to:

  • Initial requests for service e.g. the first time you ask for something
  • Initial requests for information or for an explanation our policy or practice
  • The correct application of the law or our policy, or to matters for which there is a right of appeal
  • Complaints about services not provided by us
  • Complaints about third parties (such as neighbour disputes)

Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman and Housing Ombudsman

This is an independent person appointed by the Government to look into complaints of bad practice against local authorities. The Ombudsman will usually want to know if your complaint can be settled locally, so please try the steps in this complaints procedure first.

More information about the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

To access the Housing Ombudsman service, you must either:

  • ask a Member of Parliament or a Charnwood Borough Councillor to write and refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.
  • contact the Housing Ombudsman directly without approaching a designated person if eight weeks have passed since contacting a senior officer following a formal complaint.

More information about the Housing Ombudsman

Annual complaints reports


Each year the Ombudsman compiles the complaint statistics for the complaints and enquires they have received for each English local authority in the previous year.  To view this information visit the local government ombudsman website.

More information on our complaints process

Take a look at our corporate complaints procedure for more information about the complaints process, or contact the Corporate Service Development Officer on:

Other Agencies

  • Citizens Advice Bureau
    • Woodgate Chambers, 70 Woodgate, loughborough, LE11 2TZ
    • Tel: 0844 4171025 (landline)
    • Tel: 0300 3301025 (mobile)
    • Money Advice clients only: (01509) 221215 or 08442 480 040
Share this page:

Last updated: