Skip to Content

Consider your neighbours

Covid-19: We are currently under national restrictions. Please stay at home to control the virus, protect the NHS and save lives.

The Government has published its roadmap out of the current lockdown which is available at

The coronavirus pandemic has had a drastic effect on everybody's lives.

It is more important than ever that we look out for each other and ensure that our neighbourhoods and communities are safe and following Government and NHS guidance.

With that in mind, we have put together this webpage so that some of the issues that may arise during this difficult time can be reported easily.

Report bonfires and smoke nuisance

Whilst at home during the coronavirus pandemic please be considerate of your neighbours and avoid lighting bonfires. The smoke can make it difficult for people with asthma and similar conditions to go out for their daily exercise.

You can report bonfires and smoke nuisance to our Environmental Protection team if you feel this is getting out of hand.

Report anti-social behaviour

Please be advised that the council does not have powers to deal with people breaching COVID rules at their home. These powers are held by the Police. Please call 101 and report any breaches of this nature to them. The council will however deal with any anti-social behaviour arising from people visiting an address (e.g. loud music, noise nuisance).

Stress and anxiety during the coronavirus pandemic can lead to tension within neighbourhoods and communities. 

Below are some useful tips to bear in mind when talking to the person causing the problem. Please also be mindful of social distancing guidelines and keep at least two metres (six feet) from your neighbour at all times. More guidance on social distancing can be found on the Government website.

  • Try to stay calm and friendly – being aggressive is not going to help
  • Explain what the problem is, how you feel and how it affects you
  • Listen to the other person and try not to interrupt them when they are talking.
  • Try to stay in control and not be abusive
  • If the person is being unreasonable – leave the discussion

If the problem continues once you have tried speaking to the person responsible OR if the problem is so serious that you don't want to confront them, you should then report it and seek further help from an Anti-Social Behaviour Officer.

If you are a council tenant or if you are reporting an ASB issue about a council tenant then please use the following link to report it to our landlord services team.

If you are a home owner or a privately renting tenant or a registered social housing tenant and wish to report an ASB issue then please use the following link to report it to our community safety team.

Report noise nuisance

During this period of lockdown, you will be more aware of your neighbours and there is likely to be more noise than usual. However, if this is taken to excessive levels, you can report noise nuisance to our Environmental Protection team.

Share this page:

Last updated: Thu 25th February, 2021 @ 14:06