Skip to Content

Local Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate

Residents in Leicester and its outlying areas, including Birstall, Thurmaston and Wanlip in Charnwood, are to be asked to continue to follow stricter lockdown restrictions for at least two weeks, and non-essential shops will be closed. More information - including frequently asked questions and a postcode checker - can be found at

You can claim Local Council Tax Support if you are liable to pay Council Tax on the property you are living in.

Apply for council tax support

If you move to a new property, new caravan site or boat mooring please do not wait until you have received you bill before applying for this.

If you are not sure about your liability to pay please contact the Council Tax department.

Claimants will have to pay at least 15% of their Council Tax bill under this scheme which works out at about £2.80 per person per week. However, in cases of severe financial hardship, you may be entitled to further help.

Second Adult Rebate

If you are of pensionable age, share your home with one or more people aged over 18 and you are the only person liable to pay Council Tax you may claim what is known as Second Adult Rebate.

However these other persons must not be:

  • Paying rent to you
  • Your partner
  • Disregarded for Council Tax purposes

Local Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate is credited directly to your Council Tax Account.

Share this page:

Last updated: