Skip to Content

Council Tax bands and charges

On Sunday September 20 between 4.30-6.30am customers may experience online payment disruptions due to essential maintenance taking place. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, can be found in this news story.

On February 24 2020, the Council approved to increase its share of council tax by less than 9p a week for a Band D property. 

The increase will see the annual charge for an average Band D property rise £4.43 (3.63 per cent) to £126.52 from April 1, 2020.

Your bill also reflects increases by Leicestershire Police, Leicestershire County Council and the Fire Authority. 

The annual council tax bills only have the capacity to display to one decimal place so increases will be rounded up, for example an increase of 1.99 will be rounded up to two per cent.

Details of all council tax bands in Charnwood are provided in the document below. Details of council tax banding for a specific property in Charnwood can be found by doing a search by address in our property search My Charnwood.

What does my council tax pay for?

Council Tax pays for a range of services provided by the organisations listed below. Financial details for each are available by clicking on the links. Full details of the services provided are shown on the individual web sites. 

In basic terms the amount of council tax payable in respect of a property is calculated as follows:

  • The total cost of providing the required local services is calculated
  • This figure is then divided by the number of properties in the borough
  • The result is adjusted to take account of the different council tax bands in which properties are placed

The actual calculation is obviously much more complex than this example. If you want more information on Council Tax calculations please contact the Council Tax office.

Share this page:

Last updated: