Charnwood Borough Council has agreed to raise its share of council tax by less than 9p a week for a Band D property.
The increase was agreed at full Council on Monday February 21 where 31 councillors voted in favour of the increase and eight voted against.
The increase will see the annual charge for the Charnwood element of an average Band D property rise by £4.61 (3.52 per cent) to £135.69 from April 1, 2022.
The Loughborough Special Rate, the equivalent of a parish precept in villages and paid by residents of the town, will rise by £1.55 a year (1.99 per cent) to £79.53 for the year, from April 1, 2022.
The Charnwood element of council tax bills accounts for less than 10 per cent of the total average bill.
For more information about the budget, visit the 2022/23 budget summary.
Details of all council tax bands in Charnwood are provided on the webpage below. Details of council tax banding for a specific property in Charnwood can be found by doing a search by address in our property search My Charnwood.
What does my council tax pay for?
Council Tax pays for a range of services provided by the organisations listed below. Financial details for each are available by clicking on the links. Full details of the services provided are shown on the individual web sites.
- Leicestershire County Council
- Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Leicestershire
- Combined Fire Authority
- 2021-22 Charnwood BC budgetbook
In basic terms the amount of council tax payable in respect of a property is calculated as follows:
- The total cost of providing the required local services is calculated
- This figure is then divided by the number of properties in the borough
- The result is adjusted to take account of the different council tax bands in which properties are placed
The actual calculation is obviously much more complex than this example. If you want more information on Council Tax calculations please contact the Council Tax office.
- Understanding Your Council Tax Banding (PDF Document, 0.34 Mb)
Last updated: Mon 7th March, 2022 @ 09:13