The Covid Winter Support Grant (CWSG) has been provided by the Government to Leicestershire County Council (and authorities across the country) to support families (with or without children) or individuals.
Those who are struggling financially over the winter period with:
- Energy costs over the winter
The fund runs from December 1, 2020 until March 31, 2021.
What additional support is available
- Food vouchers
- Fuel vouchers towards prepayment meter credit, redeemable cash vouchers to pay off energy arrears, or heating fuel purchases
- Heated seats
Who may be eligible for additional support?
Those who may be eligible might include:
- Families with vulnerable children aged 0-5 or that may not qualify for FSM that are known to social workers and Children and Family Wellbeing Service but are not accessing Free Early Education Entitlement. (FEEE)
- A family with or without children who are experiencing financial hardship due to Covid, which means that they are struggling to feed their family, to heat their home, or with other household costs etc.
- Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people
- Gypsy and the travelling community
Applications must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a resident of Leicestershire over 16 years old
- A family with or without children who are experiencing financial hardship due to Covid, which means that they are struggling to feed their family, to heat their home, or with other household costs etc
- Evidence of financial hardship could include individuals on furlough, on reduced hours, who have been made redundant and have not yet received universal credit, or other loss of household income.
- Eligibility and identification will need to be confirmed by the suitable professional making the application. One form of photo ID e.g. driving licence, passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate. One form of proof of address ) e.g. benefits letter, bank statement, utility bill, Council Tax bill. Confirmation from the professional if homeless.
What are the restrictions of the grant?
The grant is not:
- intended to cover payment of rent or other housing costs
- to be used for general advice on managing debt and/or finances
How to apply
A referral from a professional support worker/local area coordinator/agency should be made on behalf of applicants – no direct applications will be accepted. A member of the public who does not have anyone to complete a referral should contact a professional listed below.
Which departments and agencies are able to make a referral on my behalf?
Leicestershire County Council will accept referrals received from the following trusted partners and departments:
- Children’s Services
- Adult Social Care
- Public Health
- Revenues and Customer Support
- Care and NHS professionals including nurses and GPs
Last updated: Tue 22nd December, 2020 @ 11:35