Charnwood Borough Council is issuing Discretionary Business Grants to small businesses financially impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
The scheme was open for applications for two weeks from Wednesday, June 3 to 8am on Monday, June 22. Grants will be issued from June 29.
The scheme is open to small businesses (as defined by the Companies Act 2006) that can demonstrate they have been significantly affected by COVID-19.
To qualify as a small company under the Companies Act 2006, at least two of the following conditions must be met:
- Employ no more than 50 people
- Have a maximum turnover of £10.2 million
- Have a balance sheet of no more than £5.1 million
The application window has now closed. Grants will be paid from w/c 29 June.
The scheme is open to businesses that have previously been ineligible for a government grant.
Businesses should be aware that the Discretionary Business Grant Fund will be classed as taxable income. Businesses that make a loss this financial year will pay no tax on the grants with only those businesses that are profitable being taxed.
Discretionary Business Grant funding eligibility
Your business is eligible if it meets any of the following criteria:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible work spaces. E.g. units in industrial parks, science parks and incubators which do not have their own business rates assessment. This does not include hot-desk office spaces or chair rentals.
- Regular market traders who do not have their own business rates assessment. A maximum payment of £20,000 will be distributed between traders based on stall rentals paid to the council between January and March 2020.
- Bed & Breakfasts which pay Council Tax instead of Business Rates. Premises which exclusively use AirBnB or similar sites are not eligible.
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable Business Rates relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief. The scheme does not cover schools or other educational establishments.
- Make a direct contribution to the communities of Charnwood through health, welfare or community support services.
- Have relatively high on-going fixed property costs.
- Can demonstrate a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Independent, locally-owned business with a longstanding commitment to Charnwood.
To receive a grant, businesses must have been trading on March 11, 2020. Businesses that have previously been eligible for a retail, hospitality and leisure grant or small business grant may not apply.
We have produced some frequently asked questions to support businesses looking to apply through the scheme.
We can ONLY make the grant payments by BACS. You should ensure your correct BACS (bank account details) are provided within the form.
Payment will be made from w/c June 29.
The Government will not accept deliberate manipulation and fraud - and any business caught falsifying their records to gain additional grant money will face prosecution and any funding issued will be subject to claw back.
We will only use the information you provide to enable us to pay the discretionary business grant. Your data will not be shared with anyone outside of Charnwood Borough Council. We will keep the data securely for up to six years. The legal basis for this processing is that it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the local authority.
More information on how we handle personal information and your rights under the data protection legislation can be found in our privacy notice.
State Aid law
The award of this grant must comply with EU law on State Aid, which requires that you have not received any other state aid that exceeds in total €800,000, under the De Minimis Regulations EC 1407/2013.
Help and Advice
If you need further assistance in relation to these grants payments, please contact Business Rates via email Business.firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01509 634831.
- Discretionary Grant Fund for businesses policy (PDF Document, 0.19 Mb)
Last updated: Mon 22nd June, 2020 @ 10:33