Skip to Content

Drainage ownership and maintenance

There have been significant changes to the legislation relating to the ownership and maintenance responsibilities of sewers in recent years.

Responsibility for maintaining drains is split between the sewerage company Severn Trent Water (who maintain public drains) and property owners (who are responsible for maintaining private sections of drains). 

If your property has a system of underground pipes which connects your property and neighbouring properties to the main public sewer, the likelihood is that a portion or even all of your system could be maintained by Severn Trent Water.

The diagram below shows who is responsible for your sewers:

If you are unsure whether your drainage enquiry relates to public drains or private drains, visit the Severn Trent Water website

For public drainage enquiries call Severn Trent Water Call Centre (24 hr Emergencies) on 0800 7834444.

For drainage relating to a road or path outside your home, call Leicestershire County Council (Highways & Road Gullies) on 0116 305 0001.

Council tenants: If you rent a property from Charnwood Borough Council, phone 01509 63 4666 or email   

Housing Association tenants: If you rent a property from a Housing Association, you should contact the repairs and maintenance department.

Useful contacts:

  • Environment Agency (Floodline) - 0845 988 1188
  • Private Sector Housing (Charnwood Borough Council) - 01509 63 4651
Share this page:

Last updated: