Poorly maintained and installed gas and solid fuel, ovens cookers and boilers can put you, your family and your neighbours at risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Our free annual gas servicing takes no more than 45 minutes to carry out, but every year a small number of tenants make it difficult for our gas engineers to access their homes. As such, we must remind you that it is a condition of your tenancy agreement that you must provide access for this essential maintenance. 

If you do not use your gas supply we still need access to test the gas installation and smoke alarms in your home. For more information, contact Sure Group on: 0800 840 8021 or 01509 634 622.

Tenants must cooperate in providing access when a gas engineer visits your home to carry out annual gas servicing.  

Carbon monoxide (CO) and smoke alarms

What should I do if my gas appliance breaks down? 

If an appliance breaks down or stops working, you must report the problem direct to our gas contractor Sure. You will need to tell them your:

  • Property address
  • Telephone number
  • The best time to contact you 
  • Details of the fault or problem

What should I do if I smell gas?

If you can smell gas, there could be a gas leak somewhere in the property. To ensure that you stay as safe as possible make sure that you:

  • do not turn any electric switches on or off (this includes lights)
  • do not smoke or use naked flames

You should also:

  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter
  • Open doors and windows to get rid of the gas

Once this has been done call National Grid on 0800 111 999 from a mobile away from the property, a neighbour's phone or a phone box. Then call our gas contractor Sure on 0800 840 8021. 

National Grid will check that the leak is not from a gas main and Sure will make sure that your home is safe for you to continue living in.

Last updated: Mon 30th July, 2018 @ 14:24