If you are a young person who is leaving care, you might find the following information useful.

Getting help

If you are a care leaver, Social Services will be able to offer you support and a personal advisor up until you are 25 years of age. When you are leaving care they will develop a pathway plan for you and this will include any support that you might need. They might be able to give you some financial help with the cost of moving or setting-up a new home.

Staying in your home

If you will be returning to live with your family after you leave care and think you might find it difficult to live together (for example you are worried about having arguments or finding it hard to talk to each other), you might benefit from mediation. The Bridge can offer a mediation service to young people living in Charnwood who are at risk of becoming homeless.  

If you are due to move into your own tenancy and think you might find it difficult to manage (for example you are worried about paying your rent or other bills) you might benefit from tenancy support. The Housing Matters service can provide support to any tenant living in Charnwood. Charnwood Borough Council's Tenancy Support service can provide support to vulnerable Council Tenants, including young people who have recently left care.

Finding a new home

You can apply or ask to be referred for Supported Accommodation. Some of the accommodation providers in Charnwood can support young people who have left care to build up their skills and confidence and help them to get ready for their own independent tenancy.

If you are ready to live independently, you can look for a tenancy in the Private Rented Sector. Charnwood Borough Council's Social Lettings Service might be able to help you secure a tenancy with a private landlord in Charnwood.

If you are ready to live independently, you can apply for a tenancy with a Council or other Registered Provider of Social Housing. If you have a Local Connection to Charnwood, you may be able to join Charnwood Borough Council's Housing Register. Care Leavers below the age of 21 years who are owed a duty by Leicestershire County Council or who have been accommodated within Charnwood for a continuous period of at least 2 years (including some time before they were 16 years of age) may still be able to join the register even if they do not meet any of the Local Connection criteria.

Further advice and assistance

If you are homeless, or think you may be at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible for further advice and assistance. They can talk to you about your housing situation, housing needs and housing related support needs and may be able to help you find a new home. If you are homeless and are a care leaver, the Housing Options Team might be able to offer you temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to live whilst you are trying to find a new home.

For independent housing advice you can contact The Bridge or Charnwood Citizen's Advice Bureau.

The following organisations may be able to provide you with further information or advice:

Last updated: Thu 25th October, 2018 @ 11:25