Skip to Content

Paying rent

On Sunday September 20 between 4.30-6.30am customers may experience online payment disruptions due to essential maintenance taking place. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, can be found in this news story.

If you made a new claim for benefit or moved address on or after April 7, 2008 then please see page on local housing allowance

We cannot pay housing benefit for the following items:

  • Water rates
  • Meals / Food
  • Heating and Lighting
  • Cooking and hot water
  • Laundry
  • Television licences

If you are a council or housing association tenant or the tenant of any other registered social landlord you may also be affected by the Spare Room Subsidy (Bedroom Tax).

Using the Valuation Office Agency

If you pay rent to a private landlord (except housing associations) we must ask the Valuation Office Agency to see if the rent is reasonable for Housing Benefit purposes.

If the Valuation Office Agency decides your rent is too high or your accommodation is too big for your needs, a lower figure than the one you pay will be used to calculate your benefit. This is called your eligible rent. Single people under 35 will also be entitled to Single Room Rent.

  • We can still ask the Rent Service if you are the tenant of a housing association, if we think the rent is too expensive or your property is too big for your needs.

Using the Valuation Office Agency's valuation may mean that you may not get the full amount of benefit. You may be able to get help with the shortfall through a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Non-council residents

If you pay rent to a landlord other than the council we can pay your Housing Benefit direct to your landlord. If you wish this to happen please complete the form below.

If you do not have proof of your rent please ask your landlord to complete the proof of rent form below.

Share this page:

Last updated: