Private Hire Vehicles (sometimes called minicabs) must be pre-booked, normally by phone or in person at a cab office through a licensed private hire operator.
Failure to do so invalidates the vehicle's insurance cover and may result in enforcement action being taken against the driver or operator.
If you wish to be a licensed private hire operator further details can be found here:
Private hire vehicles are licensed for one year. Private Hire vehicles must display a yellow plate issued by us and will have yellow door signs. Private hire drivers will have a yellow ID badge which includes their photograph, which must be worn at all times.
We issue licences for taxis and ensure that the vehicles are suitable and adequately insured to ensure high standards of safety. We do not set the fares for private hire vehicles.
You can view vehicle signage requirements here:
Please read pages 16 – 26, Schedule 2 and Schedule 5 of the Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy for detailed information on the vehicle application process, all requirements and contact details for the testing stations.
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (PDF Document, 1.15 Mb)
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence Application Form (Word Document, 0.25 Mb)
What happens next?
Once you have completed your application form and are in receipt of your Certificate of Compliance for the vehicle, you should then make an appointment to come to the Council Offices, Southfield Road, Loughborough.
When you arrive you will be asked to produce the following original documentation to the Customer Services Team (no photocopies accepted):
- Vehicle Certificate of Compliance
- vehicle registration document, (or other proof of ownership)
- proof of insurance
- your completed licence application form
- If the private hire vehicle has a meter installed, on being licensed for the first time, a meter calibration certificate
- In the case of a private hire vehicle, where the owner does not hold his own private hire operator’s licence, an operator authorisation form, signed by the private hire operator. Private hire operator authorisation form
Upon application, you will be required to pay the current licence fee. All of the above documents must be produced for the application to accepted. Please refer to page one of the private hire vehicle application form. Please note that no cash payments are accepted.
Vehicle plate return
If you wish to return your vehicle plate please complete the form below. The completed form will then need to be attached securely to the plate and returned to Charnwood Borough Council.
Last updated: Tue 31st July, 2018 @ 08:44