Skip to Content

Private hire vehicle licences

For the latest information on service changes, advice and support, please visit

Our offices are now closed to the public so we would encourage you to access services and information through this website.

Grants payments to businesses are now available. Please visit

Private Hire Vehicles (sometimes called minicabs) must be pre-booked, normally by phone or in person at a cab office through a licensed private hire operator. 

Failure to do so invalidates the vehicle's insurance cover and may result in enforcement action being taken against the driver or operator.

If you wish to be a licensed private hire operator further details can be found here:

Private hire vehicles are licensed for one year. Private Hire vehicles must display a yellow plate issued by us and will have yellow door signs. Private hire drivers will have a yellow ID badge which includes their photograph, which must be worn at all times.

We issue licences for taxis and ensure that the vehicles are suitable and adequately insured to ensure high standards of safety. We do not set the fares for private hire vehicles.

You can view vehicle signage requirements here:

Licence application

Please read pages 16 – 26, Schedule 2 and Schedule 5 of the Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy for detailed information on the vehicle application process, all requirements and contact details for the testing stations.

What happens next?

Once you have completed your application form and are in receipt of your Certificate of Compliance for the vehicle, you should then make an appointment to come to the Council Offices, Southfield Road, Loughborough.

When you arrive you will be asked to produce the following original documentation to the Customer Services Team (no photocopies accepted):

  • Vehicle Certificate of Compliance
  • vehicle registration document, (or other proof of ownership)
  • proof of insurance
  • your completed licence application form
  • If the private hire vehicle has a meter installed, on being licensed for the first time, a meter calibration certificate
  • In the case of a private hire vehicle, where the owner does not hold his own  private hire operator’s licence, an operator authorisation form, signed by the private hire operator. Private hire operator authorisation form
  • If your vehicle currently has an exemption certificate then a new exemption application form and contract letter must be produced each time the plate is renewed.

Upon application, you will be required to pay the current licence fee. All of the above documents must be produced for the application to accepted. Please refer to page one of the private hire vehicle application form. Please note that no cash payments are accepted.

Vehicle plate return

If you wish to surrender your vehicle licence, please complete the form below and return it to the reception at Charnwood Borough Council Offices. This form must be accompanied by your vehicle licence document along with your front and rear vehicle plate, internal plate and both door signs. 

Share this page:

Last updated: