Following the Government’s most recent advice regarding the coronavirus pandemic, Charnwood Museum will remain closed until at least December 16, 2020.
Our primary concern is the health and wellbeing of everyone who lives and works in Charnwood, and everyone who visits.
We apologise for any inconvenience and will keep you updated here and our social media channels.
For the latest information about Council services please visit www.charnwood.gov.uk/coronavirus.
We have adapted some of our activities so that visitors can take part at home, and some that you can take part in at the Museum. You can find them below.
We would love to hear your feedback on our online activities. If you have a spare moment, please complete our quick survey.
Activities you can do at the Museum
Print a copy of the below activities and complete them while you're at the Museum. The answers are here, so don't worry!
- The Terrible Tudors at Bradgate Quiz (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - Auster Quiz (PDF Document, 0.24 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum Trail - Word Search (PDF Document, 0.23 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - A-Z (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - Detective Quiz (PDF Document, 0.61 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - Objects and Artefacts (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - Ladybird Quiz (PDF Document, 0.12 Mb)
Activities you can do at home
Here's a fun weather-themed crossword for you to complete. Answers released on Monday!
- Weather Crossword (PDF Document, 0.29 Mb)
Do you know your T-Rex's from your Megalosaurus'? Why not give our dinosaur quiz a try.
- Dinosaur Quiz Sheet (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb)
- Dinosaur Quiz Sheet - Answer Sheet (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb)
Make It: Starry Starry Night
Look at ‘Van Gogh’s’ Famous Painting ‘Starry Night’ and get some tips to help you make your own swirly, colourful picture of the night sky.
- Make it - Starry Starry Night (PDF Document, 0.33 Mb)
All the fun of the fair
Can you complete this word search focusing on the fun of visiting the fair? Answers released on Monday!
- All the Fun of the Fair (PDF Document, 0.22 Mb)
- All the Fun of the Fair - Answers (PDF Document, 0.22 Mb)
Create your own Poppy wreath to commemorate Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day 2020.
- Charnwood Museum - Poppy Wreath (PDF Document, 0.4 Mb)
Charnwood Museum Dino Anagram Quiz
Here are some names of dinosaurs but they are all mixed up. Can you work them out and can you decide if they are herbivores or carnivores?
- Charnwood Museum Dino Anagram Quiz (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum Dino Anagram Quiz - Answers (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
Charnwood Museum maze
Can you find your way through the Charnwood Museum maze?
Charnwood Museum Emotions Grid
To celebrate World Mental Health day on Saturday October 10, can you find the 12 emotions hidden in the grid? Answers can be found below.
- Charnwood Museum - Emotions Grid (PDF Document, 0.2 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum - Emotions Grid - Answers (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Charnwood Museum crosswords
Have a go at our Charnwood Museum crosswords.
- Charnwood Museum Crosswords (PDF Document, 0.26 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum Crosswords Answers (PDF Document, 0.26 Mb)
Charnwood Museum Sudoku Puzzle
Fancy testing you brain? Give our Sudoku puzzle a try.
- Charnwood Museum Sudoku Puzzle (PDF Document, 0.27 Mb)
- Charnwood Museum Sudoku Puzzle - Answers (PDF Document, 0.27 Mb)
Shopping with mother Word Search
Here's a fun word search for you to complete, centred around going shopping with your mother.
- Shopping with mother word search (PDF Document, 0.23 Mb)
- Shopping with mother word search answers (PDF Document, 0.22 Mb)
Charnwood Museum Matching Game
A fun game to keep you entertained on these rainy autumn days!
- Charnwood Museum Matching Game (PDF Document, 1.08 Mb)
Back to School Word Search
To celebrate going back to school in September, try our back to school themed word search below:
- Back to school word search (PDF Document, 0.33 Mb)
People at work anagram quiz
Rearrange the letters to find out what occupations (jobs) are listed in the quiz below e.g. hreteca = teacher.
- People at work anagram quiz (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
- People at work anagram quiz answers (PDF Document, 0.12 Mb)
Make it - Veg Plot Pebbles
To celebrate National Allotment week have a go at making some Veg Plot Pebbles following the directions below:
- Make it - Veg Plot Pebbles (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
The Nature of Calligraphy
Due to Charnwood Museum being closed at present the following exhibition which was on display in the Charnwood Gallery ‘The Nature of Calligraphy’ by the Leicestershire Calligraphers has now been extended. The exhibition will be on display until Friday 30th October 2020. Once we reopen we hope that you will come along and take a look at the exhibition. The work is varied, using nature as inspiration and subject matter, as well as in the design or physical writing surface. The process of calligraphy is also shown in the gallery with a recreated writer’s desk area and a display of historical objects from the collections. If you can’t wait until then the Leicestershire Calligraphy group has done a video showing a calligraphy technique.Please come back on Friday 14th August 2020 for some ideas of calligraphy activities that you could do as a family.
Funday Friday - Calligraphy
To coincide with the Leicestershire Calligraphy exhibition ‘ The Nature of Calligraphy’ have fun creating words and letters using the ideas below:
- Calligraphy ideas (PDF Document, 0.7 Mb)
Museum at home - Objects and Artefacts
Become a curator around your home using the guidance below:
- Museum at home - Objects and Artefacts (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Clay Creatures Workshop
This is the time of year when we have our very popular clay workshop at Charnwood Museum, but as you can’t come and see us, we have taken our inspiration from YouTube and found some links to some great videos that will help you create something fun:
- Clay Creatures Workshop (PDF Document, 0.14 Mb)
Make it - Watery whale mobile
Create a beautiful whale inspired decoration using the instructions below:
- Make it - Watery Whale Mobile (PDF Document, 0.15 Mb)
Guess the occupation
Fancy a quiz? See if you can guess the occupation of the people in the quiz below.
- Guess the occupation (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Answers to the quiz can be found below:
- Guess the occupation - answers (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Have fun making some masks using the instructions below:
- Mask making (PDF Document, 1.26 Mb)
Make it Reycled - Robot Fun
Make a robot and save the Planet! Full details and instructions below:
- Make it Recycled - Robot Fun (PDF Document, 0.18 Mb)
Museum at home - Name and Logo Game
You are the curator and are opening a Museum at your home. What would you call it, and what would your logo look like? Let us know by using the form below:
- Museum at home - Name and Logo Game (PDF Document, 0.13 Mb)
Have a go at the Chronology Challenge featuring objects from across the Leicestershire Museums family – can you put them into date order?
- Chronology Challenge (PDF Document, 4.02 Mb)
Seaside Quiz 2020
Take part in our fun seaside quiz!
- Seaside Quiz 2020 (PDF Document, 0.52 Mb)
The answers to the quiz can be found below:
- Answers to the Seaside Quiz (PDF Document, 0.24 Mb)
Rhino and Mammoth colouring
Get your pens or crayons at the ready and colour the bones of these magnificent beasts!
- Rhino and Mammoth Colouring (PDF Document, 0.25 Mb)
Get yourself some card or stiff paper, scissors, pens/crayons and a straw and create a butterfly straw using the guide below:
- Make it - Butterfly Straw Decoration (PDF Document, 0.43 Mb)
Make it - Fish cake topper
Get yourself some card or stiff paper, Cocktail Sticks, scissors, pens and pencils and best of all - a cake! Get making a fish cake with a difference using the guide below:
- Make it - Fish cake topper instructions (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
Get up close to some amazing archaeology! Take part in some fun activities from the comfort of your home and garden.
- Awesome Archaeology (PDF Document, 0.72 Mb)
Astounding Anglo Saxons
Have a go at our archaeology themed game – it’s all Anglo-Saxon to us! We have a quiz sheet and a fact sheet to help you answer the questions. Find them below:
- Astounding Anglo Saxons Quiz Sheet (PDF Document, 0.68 Mb)
- Astounding Anglo Saxons Fact Sheet (PDF Document, 0.16 Mb)
Don't step on a bee
Designed to raise awareness about bees and how to protect them, you can create a bottle top bee using the guide below:
- Don't Step on a Bee (PDF Document, 0.25 Mb)
People at work word search
At workplace based word search to keep you busy.
- People at Work word search (PDF Document, 0.33 Mb)
With the absence of the European Championships but the return of Premier League football, why not have a go at our Football Fever game suitable for all ages!
- Football fever (PDF Document, 0.73 Mb)
Egg Box Flowers
Make your own everlasting flowers from egg boxes in our recycling art and craft activity.
- Egg Box Flowers (PDF Document, 0.59 Mb)
All a flutter
Birds are everywhere! Can you find them all and complete the quiz?
- All a Flutter Game (PDF Document, 0.43 Mb)
Museum at Home – Word search
Who doesn't love a word search? Can you find every word?
- Museum at Home - Wordsearch (PDF Document, 0.7 Mb)
Museum at Home – Object Detectives A to Z
Have a go at some of our gallery favourites that have been adapted for you to use at home rather than the museum galleries!
- Museum at Home - A to Z (PDF Document, 0.61 Mb)
Colouring activities for children
If you would like to send us pictures of your completed activities, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share them with fellow museum friends on our Facebook and Twitter channels.
Loughborough Carillon Tower and War Memorial Museum online activities
The Loughborough Carillon Tower and War Memorial Museum have created an 'Activities Page' on their website so that children can have some Carillon Tower related fun during the coronavirus pandemic, including a cut-out model of the tower. The activities page can be found at www.carillontower.org.uk/things2do.htm.
Last updated: Fri 27th November, 2020 @ 08:41