We are responsible for collecting Council Tax on behalf of; Leicestershire County Council, Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Leicestershire, the Combined Fire Authority and parish councils throughout the borough.
We make payments to those authorities whether we have received your payment or not, which is why we will take prompt action against you if you do not pay your Council Tax on time.
What happens if I forget to pay?
If your payment is late we will issue a reminder notice for the overdue amount. If this is not paid by the required date, the full remaining balance becomes due and a summons may be issued against you.
Whilst paying the 10 monthly instalments in a year, a maximum of two reminder notices will be issued. Should your payment be late a third time, then the full balance on the account becomes due and a final notice is issued.
If the full balance is not paid within seven days a summons may be issued against you and extra costs will be added to your account.
What happens if a summons is issued?
Following the issue of a summons we will attend the Magistrates Court (on the date specified on the summons) and ask for a liability orders to be granted against you.
If a liability order is granted we are legally permitted to use a range of 'enforcement' actions to collect outstanding Council Tax (for example, attachment to earnings orders).
Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, the process of attending court has changed to ensure that social distancing can be maintained for the safety of attendees and staff. Anyone who wants to attend MUST have a pre-arranged appointment time.
Defences against the liability order
You can appeal your liability order if:
- You have paid in full prior to the issue of the summons
- You have been billed incorrectly (this excludes an award of Local Council Tax Support)
Deal with this now without attending court
If you do not wish to attend the hearing and/or have no valid defense:
- Pay in full online at www.charnwood.gov.uk/payonline or by calling 0345 6091258
- Contact us on 0345 6091258 or email Charnwood.firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss making alternative arrangements for payment
If you wish to attend the hearing you MUST follow the steps below:
- Contact us on 0345 6091258 or email Charnwood.email@example.com
- If we can, we will try to resolve the matter with you ahead of the hearing and save you a journey to court
- We may agree to adjourn the hearing while we look into your case
- If we can’t help, then we will arrange for a specific time in which the Magistrates will hear your defense
- We will provide you with details to ensure that you are able to comply with the social distancing measures that are in place at court
Please note: If you turn up at the Magistrates Court without a prior appointment, you will be refused entry and your case will be heard in your absence.
What should I do if I can't pay my Council Tax?
If you are struggling to make payments, you can complete our form to request a payment arrangement. You will need to sign in or register for a portal account to access the form.
Once you’ve signed in, click on My Online Services, then using the dropdown, pick the account you want to deal with. Then click on Show Details and the arrangement manager then appears, as Make an offer of Payment.
Although it may not be possible to avoid the issue of a summons and grant of a liability order, an acceptable payment arrangement will allow us to suspend the use of 'enforcement' actions, and can help avoid the accumulation of debt.
You can find out how to access welfare, legal and financial advice.
Last updated: Wed 1st December, 2021 @ 13:14