Skip to Content

Register your food business

Premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) are required by law to be registered with their local authority.

If you run a food business within Charnwood you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises include:

  • restaurants
  • hotels
  • cafes
  • shops
  • Supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices/ warehouses
  • guest houses
  • delivery vehicles
  • buffet cars on trains
  • market and other stalls
  • hot dog and ice cream vans

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before doing so.


The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt, for example some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact us if you think you might be exempt.

How do I register?

Download and completing the Registration Form (Word Document, 0.18 Mb). Send a signed copy back to us by post or email.

If you would like a hard copy of the form then please email your name and address to

Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge.

Other information

If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested.

Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open in answer to question 7. If you have any questions contact us and we will help you. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details on a register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at each premises will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available.


You only need notify us of a change of proprietor, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept. The new proprietor will have to complete an application form.

Share this page:

Last updated: