Skip to Content

Street trading and Consents

Residents in Leicester and its outlying areas, including Birstall, Thurmaston and Wanlip in Charnwood, are to be asked to continue to follow stricter lockdown restrictions for at least two weeks, and non-essential shops will be closed. More information - including frequently asked questions and a postcode checker - can be found at

Any street trading or activity in Loughborough town centre requires a street trading consent. 

This means that any person or company who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a town centre street, must apply for consent from us.

There are two types of consent:

  1. Street Trading Consent  - For the selling of goods on an annual basis
  2. Town Centre Activity Consent - For the selling or promotion on a daily/weekly basis

To apply for consent please contact us on:

For any enquiries regarding street trading or activity outside of Loughborough town centre, please contact Leicestershire County Council on 01163 050001. 

Street trading consent

This is for the sale of goods and services which have the following categories:

  • Annual (food): £1,648
  • Daily (food): £45.30
  • Annual (non-food): £1,113.30
  • Daily (non-food): £35
  • Electrical charge per appliance: £1.55

Town centre activity consent

This is for promotion of services that are not for sale e.g. for information only.

  • Commercial activity: £66.95 per day
  • Charity booking via a third party booking agent: £66.95 per day
  • Charity booking directly from the charity: £35 per day
  • Electrical charge per appliance: £1.55


Following receipt of a valid application for street trading consent, we may consult with various people, including:

  • Police
  • Leicestershire County Council highways
  • Street Management
  • Licensing

Please note that a minimum of two weeks must be allowed for the consultation process to be completed on all applications. 

No street trading or Town centre activity may take place until permission has been granted.

Pavement cafe licences

A licence is needed to put tables and chairs on the street outside business premises, to create a street cafe or to use street or pavement space for displays. 

Leicestershire County Council issues licences for these activities so for more information and application forms visit the County Council's website.                  

Share this page:

Last updated: