If you are a full-time student you may be able to apply for a council tax discount or exemption
You could be eligible for a discount or exemption if:
- You are a full-time student or the property you live in is occupied by one or more students, school or college leavers
- The property is your sole or main residence during term time
If two or more residents living in your property are not qualifying students then no reduction is allowed.
The person applying for the discount or exemption must be:
- the liable person to request a student discount or exemption (this is the person named on the council tax bill or exemption notice) or have authorisation to do so
- 18 years or over
What is a full-time student?
- someone undertaking a full-time university or college course whichlasts for at least one academic or calendar year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term-time
- if under 20 years old, someone who is undertaking a course which lasts more than three months and at least 12 hours of study per week (for example, A level, ONC and OND Standard). The course must be undertaken between the hours of 8am and 5.30pm
If your application is successful a new bill or exemption notice will be issued to you. In the meantime, bills previously issued must be regarded as correct and due for payment as requested.
Last updated: Thu 6th June, 2019 @ 12:53