Skip to Content

Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

Covid-19: We are currently under national restrictions. Please stay at home to control the virus, protect the NHS and save lives.

The Government has published its roadmap out of the current lockdown which is available at

To support residents whose earnings are affected by self-isolating for 14 days, the Government has set up the Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme, where eligible residents can apply to their local authority for a one-off Test and Trace Support Payment of £500.

The scheme launched on September 28 and the application process began on October 12. Eligible residents who started to self-isolate from September 28 can apply using the form below further down this page.

We have also created a webpage for frequently asked questions about the payment scheme.

The main scheme closes on March 31, 2021. The Council’s Discretionary scheme closes when our allocated funds have been allocated.

Am I eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment?

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for Covid-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be eligible to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment.

To be eligible for the scheme you must be a Charnwood resident and meet all four of the following criteria:

  • You must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.
  • You must be employed or self-employed.
  • You must be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of having to stay at home and self-isolate

You must be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate i.e. your period of self-isolation ends before the Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme launches on 28 September 2020.
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.

You will also not be eligible if your application was received 14 days after your period of self-isolation ended.

What you will need to support your application

  • Most recent full bank statements – including full name and address
  • Evidence of reduction in income, e.g. payslips, bank statements, confirmation from your employer
  • Unique tax reference (if self-employed)
  • Test and Trace number – Please ensure you have validated your details in your test and trace account.

Please note: If you don't provide the relevant details to support your application above, your payment will be delayed.

How can I apply?

You can apply by using the application form below:

Apply for a Test and Trace support payment

For details on how the data you provide will be used, please view the self-isolation payment scheme privacy notice.

What happens if I am overdrawn when I receive my payment?

Banks are not allowed to use certain types of payments to repay an overdraft, for example welfare benefits.

You can protect your payment by telling your bank what the payment should be used for. This protection is called a 'first right of appropriation of funds order'.

You can use the first right of appropriation on any money being paid into your account. For example, you may want to make sure that your job seekers allowance (JSA) is used to pay your electricity bill and water rates. You will need to tell your bank how to use these payments.

If your bank account is overdrawn and you would like us to delay the £500 Test and Trace Payment until you have contacted your bank, please notify us.

Share this page:

Last updated: Wed 17th February, 2021 @ 15:31