First, and most obviously, make sure you pay your instalments when they are due. If you often forget to pay why not consider payment by direct debit.
If direct debit is not for you, remember that you can now pay online or by telephone 01509 634 555.
- If you have had a reminder issued to you, make sure you bring the account up to date immediately to avoid a summons being issued.
Remember that a third payment default will result in the full balance becoming due immediately, so if you are late with your payments don’t let it happen more than twice in one year.
- Having a summons issued against you can be very distressing, but remember that making (and keeping) an acceptable payment arrangement at that point will stop any further action being taken.
We will still ask for a liability order as a guarantee but will not use it as long as everything goes to plan on the arrangement.
- Payment of the summonsed balance (including costs) before the court date means that no liability order needs to be requested, so your name will not be put before the magistrates.
- It is still possible to make an arrangement after a liability order is granted against you, but contacting the Council earlier (as soon as a summons is received) will give you more time to pay on an arrangement, and should cut down on the paperwork issued to you.
You should be aware that the granting of a liability order does give us the legal power to take further recovery action in the form of either:
- Attachment Orders to certain kinds of benefit or earnings
- Referral to an Enforcement Agent
- In some cases the instigation of bankruptcy proceedings
It is therefore extremely important to make and keep to payment arrangements made with us.
|FOI 1144||12th Jan 2011||Council Tax Arrears|
|FOI 1942||11th May 2012||Money Lost to the Council|
|FOI 1987||25th May 2012||Revs and Bens Info|
|FOI 2136||12th Jul 2012||Contact and Bailiff Details|
|FOI 2242||3rd Oct 2012||Council Tax|
|FOI 2267||28th Aug 2012||Council Tax|
|FOI 2481||16th Nov 2012||Council Tax Arrears|
|FOI 1173||31st Jan 2011||Third Party Debt Recovery|
|FOI 1204||18th Feb 2011||CT and Bid Accounts Showing Overpayments|
|FOI 1334||6th Jun 2011||Councillors Council Tax|
|FOI 1384||20th Jul 2011||Baliffs|
|FOI 1385||20th Jul 2011||People Imprisoned for Council Tax Non Payment|
|FOI 4572||19th Jun 2014||Council Tax Summons|
|FOI 4605||27th Jun 2014||New NNDR|
|FOI 4871||22nd Aug 2014||Council Tax Protocol|
|FOI 4876||26th Aug 2014||Account Balances for Sanctuary Housing|
|FOI 4984||17th Sep 2014||Councillors Council Tax|
|FOI 1467||27th Sep 2011||Written Off Debts|
|FOI 4096||14th Mar 2014||Rateable Value|
|FOI 2891||16th Apr 2013||Council Tax Info|
|FOI 2969||7th May 2013||Council Tax Arrears|
|FOI 3152||5th Jul 2013||Council Tax Arrears|
|FOI 3181||16th Jul 2013||Council Tax Increase|
|FOI 3309||27th Aug 2013||Council Tax|
|FOI 3468||17th Oct 2013||Council Tax|
|FOI 3537||4th Nov 2013||Bailiffs for Council Tax Collection|
|FOI 4251||14th Apr 2014||Council Tax Relief for Flooding|
|FOI 4336||6th May 2014||Council Tax Legal Liability|
|FOI 4382||8th May 2014||Spare Room Subsidy|
|FOI 4463||28th May 2014||Council Tax Arrears|
|FOI 3579||12th Nov 2013||Council Members Non Payment of Council Tax|
|FOI 3660||2nd Dec 2013||Council Tax|
|FOI 3701||11th Dec 2013||Council Tax|
|FOI 1656||25th Jan 2012||Prices for Various Council Services|
Last updated: Tue 25th October, 2016 @ 09:51