Skip to Content

Supporting evidence

On Sunday September 20 between 4.30-6.30am customers may experience online payment disruptions due to essential maintenance taking place. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, can be found in this news story.

We cannot process your claim until you have supplied various evidence (proofs) to support the information you have given.

These should ideally be submitted with your claim form but if this is not possible please submit the form first, else you may lose entitlements.

You then have a month from the date you made the claim to supply all the necessary documents. If you know that you cannot supply a document within that time limit please contact us immediately for advice. Examples of acceptable evidence can be found below:

Proof of identity

you must provide original documents. These cannot be emailed or scanned. two proofs of identity are required for both the applicant and their partner. These could be:

  • A passport
  • Utility bill
  • Driving licence
  • Bus pass
  • Union/other membership card
  • Medical card
  • Birth certificate

National Insurance Number

  • National Insurance Number Cards
  • State Benefit Books
  • Letters from the DWP
  • Pension Service or Job Centre Plus
  • P60's P45's
  • Wage Slips

Capital savings (includes any current accounts)

  • Bank/Building Society statements - showing at least the last two full months transactions
  • Passbooks - Must be up to date
  • Savings/Bond Certificates
  • Share Certificates.

Details should be provided of any large or regular transactions going into or out of accounts. If you have less than £6,000 capital in total (£10,000 if you are pension age or above) you may not have to provide proof.


  • Five weekly or two monthly wage slips (must be consecutive and up to date). Please be aware that hand written slips are not acceptable.

If you do not have acceptable wage slips an Earning Certificate for completion by your employer is enclosed in the application form. This certificate should be accompanied with a letter head stating who to contact, address and telephone number to enable us to verify the information.

Self Employed Proforma is available in the application form for your use. If you have prepared accounts you will also need to provide these for your last years trading.


  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Pension Credits

This information can, in most cases, be verified by the Benefits Service providing you have told the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of your current address.

Other income

Any documents held showing source of income, regularity of payments and amount.

If income is paid direct into a bank account your statement may be acceptable providing it shows where the payment came from and you supply enough statements to confirm the regularity and amount of payments.


  • Child Benefit letter showing names of dependant children for whom Child Benefit is paid

Where there is a non-dependant in the property proof of their gross income, type of income i.e. state benefits/earnings etc is required. If proof is not received of a non-dependants income then the highest non-dependant deduction will be used in the calculation of your benefit. 

If you have any boarders, sub-tenants or joint tenants living in the same property you should ensure that they are all declared on your application form but you do not need to supply any further information unless required to do so at a later stage.


Any proof of rent provided must show the name of Tenants, address of property, date tenancy began, amount of rent due and regularity i.e. weekly/calendar monthly etc, any services included in the rent and amounts, the landlord/lady's full address (or letting agent if applicable).

  • Tenancy agreement
  • rent certificate (included with the rent details additional form)
  • up to date rent books
  • letter from landlord/lady

Second adult rebate claims

If you are claiming Second Adult Rebate you will need to provide us with two proofs of identity for yourself, proof of your national insurance number and proof of all the second adult's income and capital.

Please see suggestions for acceptable documents as above.

Share this page:

Last updated: