Skip to content

Submit, Find or Comment on Planning Applications

Searching for, Viewing or Making Comments on a Planning Application

There are various ways to search, view or make comments on planning applications as follows:Planning Explorer

  1. Use this link to get more information on searching for, viewing or making comments or objections to an application
  2. Alternatively, if you are already familiar with the system, go direct to Planning Explorer.
  3. To Find out about planning applications nearest to your address you can use the My Charnwood Property Search.

Guide to the Planning and Regeneration Service in Charnwood 2012 now available to view and print (click on the image to view a turning pages version)

Submitting a Planning Application 

Click here to find out how to submit a planning application via the Planning Portal3 D Logo High Res Jpeg

Alternatively, if you are already familiar with the systemuse this link to go direct to the Planning Portal,

Pre-application advice service

The Council encourage applicants to seek advice prior to submitting an application but this requires significant resources from the Council and therefore a formal process has been adopted and fees are payable for this service. The Guidance Note Pre-Application Advice (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb) provides information about this service, the information that is required from the applicant and the fees that are payable. A form is available to complete to accompany such an enquiry here: Pre-Application Advice Request Form Word Version (Word Document, 0.23 Mb) 

 Quick Links

Submitting a Planning Application

If you are carrying out work to a domestic dwelling you can check if planning permission is required by using our Self Assessment Forms or visit the Planning Portal and use their visual guides.

  • What is required in the submission of an application?

We recommend that you submit your application electronically by using the Planning Portal and following their guidance or alternatively download forms from our website.

Please ignore the requirement of 3 copies on the national forms and checklist.
Unlike most other authorities if you submit your application electronically we do not usually require any paper copies and we only usually require 1 copy if sent by post. (2 copies if a major application).

Please read our Guidance on submitting a planning application

PLANS - View these examples of plan requirements

Good example of existing plans (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)

Good example of proposed plans (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)

  • Critical dimensions and a recognised metric scale

All plans and drawings submitted are required to have critical dimensions and a recognised metric scale marked on them.

If plans are received without critical dimensions no further checks will be made until they are received. Critical dimensions include heights, width and length of buildings and extensions, and distances to site boundaries. These are necessary to ensure the plans are readable on our web site and to ensure that it is clear what you are applying for and what the Council are granting permission for.

  • 'Do not scale'

Drawings with notes stating 'Do not scale' also will not be accepted even when they are claimed to be to a recognised metric scale. We suggest that a note could be added to the plans stating “Printed or electronic copies of this plan can be scaled for planning purposes.”

We will not accept plans which are not to a recognised metric scale. Please mark the paper size on the plan to ensure that it is printed at the correct scale.

  • Proposed work

If existing and new works are shown on the same drawing, colour or shade the new works to make them clearly distinguishable, or include separate plans showing the existing situation. The proposed works should be clearly identified in relation to existing buildings, boundaries etc.

  • Site location plansPlanbutton

These are required to accompany every application and can be purchased via the planning portal or at our customer service centre.

  • Fees

The Planning Portal has an on-line fee calculator and a Guide to Planning Fees. Please note that details not included in the submission of an application may require conditions to be imposed and a fee is required to discharge conditions following a decision.

Useful information to assist in submitting an application can be found in the Planning Publications list providing links to CBC and external documents.

To prevent delays in processing your application ensure that you have submitted everything by completing the Application Check List  (now with a response column) which can be found adjacent to the application forms

PLEASE NOTE: If you fail to provide the relevant information it will result in your application being invalid and delay a decision.
Agents please be aware that applicants may be notified if their planning application is made invalid.

All forms and plans submitted will be displayed on our website.

All documents submitted electronically are to be treated as being received by the Council at 9.00am on the next working day and will be date stamped as being received on the following day. This is in accordance with Central Government advice "Guidance on information requirements and validations" dated 16 March 2010

Follow these links for further information if you are proposing a Wind Turbine, work related to Equestrian activities (stables, maneges etc.), outdoor advertisements and signs or a new dwellings in Charnwood’s rural communities.

Who to contact in respect of Planning Applications? Development Control Contacts

Back to top of the page.


You can use:-Planning Explorer

  • Planning Explorer to search by application number, address, applicant, agent, date received, date decided and various other methods.
  • Our Weekly list of Planning Applications.
  • My Charnwood - Find out all the local information relevant to your area, including planning applications near to your address.
  • IMAP Charnwood’s interactive mapping system.

If you require to view documents on-line in respect of an application submitted prior to December 2005 please e-mail with your request and we will advise you when it is available.

Back to top of the page.


  • Who do the Council consult on an application?
    • This depends on the specific circumstances of the site and the proposal. We always consult Parish/Town Councils and there are 165 standard consultees to chose from (this includes neighbouring Councils, internal consultees, pressure groups, statutory and non statutory consultees).
      We have a protocol with Leicestershire Constabulary, Police Architectural Liaison Service to consult them on applications to improve community safety.

Protocol on liasing with Police on planning matters (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)

Under the Householder Appeals Service there is no provision to add to these comments at the appeal stage.

  • Will my comments make a difference?

    • Yes - without your comments we will not know what you think. We can only refuse planning permission where we can substantiate the decision on planning issues. View Material Planning Considerations. All information received (other than anonymous comments) will be read and taken into account. Comments may not be looked at until the statutory consultation time period has expired, they will all then be assessed together. We cannot guarantee that any questions asked in correspondence are answered. Please make your comments clear and concise.

  • The Handy Guide To Planning explains how to become involved in the planning process.

  • Guidance on Public Speaking at Planning Committee.
  • Since May 2009 Planning Committee Agendas and Minutes are available to download.
  • Decision making Councillors/Officers or Central Government make the planning decisions.
  • View a decision using Planning Explorer

Discharging Planning Conditions

You will need to complete Form 25 and submit with the relevant fee and information.

Please see our scale of fees

Back to top of the page.

Free and independent planning advice!

Planning Aid provides free, independent and professional help, advice and support on planning issues to people and communities who cannot afford to hire a planning consultant. Planning Aid complements the work of local authorities but is wholly independent of them. In most UK regions Planning Aid is run by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI, a charity registered in England 262865)

  • Planning Aid

 Section 106 Planning Contributions

"Planning Obligations Practice Guidance" produced by Department for Communities and Local Government, July 2006, although dated, includes the following good practice check list which Charnwood follow.

Good Practice Check List
The following list provides details of all the contributions that developers have agreed to make towards infrastructure and community facilities which are required because development has been agreed.

Section 106 Contributions April 2014 (PDF Document, 0.27 Mb)

Back to top of the page.

Last updated: Tue 19th August, 2014 @ 15:41

Back to top