This process serves to provide a means for:
- The owners of building work to obtain retrospective Building Regulations consent for work that has already been carried out and completed. It is only applicable where the work was carried out on or after 11th November 1985.
- The owners of building work to apply for Building Regulations consent for work that is underway but not completed and for which neither a Full Plans Application nor a Building Notice has been submitted to the Council.
The process is that plans of the building work together with an application form (Regularisation Application Form includes a Regularisation Application Check List available at Application forms) and an appropriate payment (see Building Charges at Application forms) are submitted to the Council by the owner of the building work or by his or her agent.
Where the building work has been completed, the Council's Building Control Surveyor will make an inspection of the work to assess the work that has been carried out. The Building Control Surveyor will advise of any work that should be opened up for inspection and also how any work that is in contravention of the technical requirements of the Building Regulations should be corrected.
At the end of the process, irrespective of any further proceedings the Council may take, the Council will state in writing either that:
- The work does not comply with the Building Regulations due to certain shortcomings which will be specified
- It is not possible for the Council to determine whether the work complies with the Building Regulations
- The work does, in the opinion of the Council, comply with the Building Regulations.
In the latter case, a Regularisation Certificate will be issued to the person who submitted the Regularisation Application.
In the case where building work is still in progress, the person carrying out the work is obliged to notify the Building Control Surveyor at certain stages of the work in order that site inspections can be made. When the work is completed, and provided that the technical requirements of the Building Regulations have been satisfied, a Regularisation Certificate will be issued to the person who submitted the Regularisation Application. This has the same status as the Certificate of Completion that would have been issued had the work been subject to a Full Plans or Building Notice Application.
Last updated: Tue 11th August, 2015 @ 10:20