|Date Listed||Wed 1st June, 1966|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of All Saints Main Street Cossington LE7 4UW|
|Volume, Map, Item||260, 7, 9|
Church. C13-C15 and C19. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof to chancel and S porch, the rest leaded and parapetted roofs. Stone coped gables. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of C13 of 3 stages with small blocked W door, W lancest with C19 stained glass, N and S lancets, 4 bell openings with hoodmoulds, head frieze and battlements. Triple chamfered nave arch. C13 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on circular piers. Early C14 4 bay S arcade with double sunk quadrant moulded arches on quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with four 3 light windows either side and C19 4 bay low pitch tie beam roof. N aisle with buttresses with set offs and part battlemented parapet. NW window with Y tracery, blocked N door, 2 N windows with C19 stained glass, and NE window with Y tracery and C19 stained glass. By chancel arch part of spiral stairway to former rood, and a squint to both aisles. Early C14 chancel. Windows with reticulated tracery those to W on both sides originally ?low side?, that to S now with lower section blocked. E window with intersected tracery and stained glass c1918 by Strachan. Fine sedilia with ogee arches and piscina, and on N wall a C14 tomb recess, with ogee arch over the alabaster tomb chest of Dr Matthew Knightley, a former Rector of 1556. Incised top and carved sides. Chancel S door. S windows have C19 stained glass. C19 boarded wagon roof. S aisle has buttresses and part battlemented parapet. SE window has geometric tracery and stained glass of 1862. Two S windows with Y tracery and SW window with restored Y tracery. Early C14 S doorway and C19 S porch. Round font, possibly C13/C14, with C17 restored cover. Restored perp screen and pulpit. Choir stall ends probably of same date, partly restored. Some benches with linenfold panelling c1500. In N aisle under E window tomb with recumbent effigy of priest, c1320. In chancel alabaster wall monument to Rev. William Stavely, a former Rector, of 1652. Further early C19 wall monuments, a rectangular painting of the Royal Arms of Georgian period and c1700 painting of the Creed, Commandments and Lord?s Prayer with portraits of Moses and Aaron. Carved frame. Pevsner.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.