|Date Listed||Mon 15th March, 1965|
|Category||Statutory Listed Building|
|Address||Church of All Saints Steeple Row Loughborough LE11 1EE|
|Volume, Map, Item||261, 10, 86|
|Conservation Area||Church Gate|
Church, mainly C14, restored and enlarged 1862 by G G Scott. Of ashlar. Nave and aisles (with secondary south aisle added 1862 between south transept and porch), transepts, chancel, 4-stage C15 west tower. Four bay nave with pinnacles and battlements. Three light aisle windows with decorated tracery. Three light C15 clerestory windows, 2 to each bay. Chancel with perpendicular windows to north and south, but decorated 5-light east window. Tower: west doorway with shields and leaves carved in the spandrels, 5-light perpendicular west window, 3-light blind window above. Bell stage has 2 tall 2-light windows with transoms and quatrefoil heads flanked by blank panels with identical tracery. Pinnacles and battlements above (restored 1950). Interior: very lofty tower arch. Quatrefoil arcade piers. C19 roofs. Sedilia and piscina in chancel. Piscina and aumbry in south chapel. C19 wrought iron altar table in south aisle. Fine monument to Joanna Walters, d.1673, carved with angels holding a curtain to either side of inscription tablet, and the shrouded bodies of a woman and 2 babies beneath. Some C15 brasses. Fine collection of carved Swithland slate headstones in churchyard. N Pevsner, Leicestershire and Rutland.
The description above describes the salient features of the building as it was at the date of listing. It is given in order to aid identification; it is not intended to be either comprehensive or exclusive.
Statutory Listing covers all parts of the property and its curtilage, ie all internal and external elements whether described or not.